How low are your cats? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tools R Us said:
Yes, mine are 17.25" off the ground.

thanks for checking, but might be a bit easier to interpret if in relation to the frame since we don't know your tires, lift etc. I must wondering primarily if mine are lower than usual. Any idea where they stand w.r.t. the frame?

e9999 said:
you can be sure that this being a superlative offroad vehicle, the Toy engineers thought long and hard about ground clearance. There must be a reason why these cats are vertical, and yes, heat to floor seems the likely reason...

i have run mine in the cut and turn possition for a year now and that includes several 2000mile trips. i drove 1000 miles strait and havent noticed any difference. i dont have anything melting or over heating.

lx450landcruiser said:
alia why did you cut your heat sheild like that? just curious.

mike

Mike,

My slider bracket in that area runs through those slits.

I do notice on long trips that the slider gets warm in that area. What really gets hot is the floor area directly behind the front passenger. That muffler is a huge heat source on long road trips.

I thought about doing this - even cut and turned they will still drag without a decent skid plate - design sucks....

My wife doesn't do alot of off roading so I'm leaving them where they are. If she gets stuck we'll winch it out with the 9,000# Superwinch and see what happens to the cats. Maybe they'll slice through terra firma in the vertical position with a cutting edge instead of flat and bending...I dunno...

e9999 said:
you can be sure that this being a superlative offroad vehicle, the Toy engineers thought long and hard about ground clearance. There must be a reason why these cats are vertical, and yes, heat to floor seems the likely reason...

I'm know they think about a lot of factors other than off-road performance and ground clearance, most of which have little to do with the performance of the vehicle. Manufacturing costs, assembly line issues, parts shared with other vehicles, parts availability from vendors, most all boiling down to money...

There may be no other reason they are like they are than that it was cheaper for some reason or another to do it that way....

After wrecking hell on my cat's and exhaust i replaced them with one's from discountconverter.com/. They are a bit smaller and give about an extra inch of clearance. They are now bulletproof with the addition of the Hanna slider. The wrap-around exhaust pipe and muffler are a different story though and still take a beating.

pound3151 said:
After wrecking hell on my cat's and exhaust i replaced them with one's from discountconverter.com/. They are a bit smaller and give about an extra inch of clearance. They are now bulletproof with the addition of the Hanna slider. The wrap-around exhaust pipe and muffler are a different story though and still take a beating.

Lucky non-Californian with your aftermarket cats. Darn you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom