How low are your cats? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
I have been puzzled ever since I took the running boards off by how low the cats are hanging on my 97. They seem pretty vulnerable. This makes me wonder if they are perhaps in a non-standard position which could give me trouble with sliders. They don't seem banged up at all though.
Seems like the bottom of my cats is about even with the lower end of the bracket holding the rear of the front control arms. Is that the case with yours as well or are yours higher?

(Interestingly, it seems like the lower part of the cats on the older trucks with parallel cats is a tad higher, maybe an 1" higher or so. Dang....)

(and then this dang exhaust pipe is also hanging low back there before the muffler... what were they thinking?)

Or buy a pre-95 with the superior exhaust routing! :D

after removing the runnign boards the cats are quite aparent.

a question alogn the same lines, I was in front of my truck earlier and looking along the exhuast and noticed the two cats are clocked slightly diffrent from eacother, arent they suppose to be in the same plane? juess they must have been hit at some point.

RavenTai said:
after removing the runnign boards the cats are quite aparent.

a question alogn the same lines, I was in front of my truck earlier and looking along the exhuast and noticed the two cats are clocked slightly diffrent from eacother, arent they suppose to be in the same plane? juess they must have been hit at some point.

yea, mine are too! they are not both vertical. One is at a slight angle from the other, maybe 5 or 10 deg! But no evidence of hit.

Gald to hear, Thanks

Should I have added another option to my poll?

"Do your cats hang low, do they wobble to and fro?"

:D

NorCalDoug said:
Should I have added another option to my poll?

"Do your cats hang low, do they wobble to and fro?"

:D

LOL

"...can you throw them over your boulders like a continental cruiser...?."

One of my cats hangs low from the factory . Its got something to do with her short legs though . She also helps to put away the shopping too :D
fang.jpg

Eric,

You obviously posted this one up after I stopped by yesterday to show off my brand new, very dirty Hanna sliders (yes Ken - went right out and got them dirty - no hits - Hi Mountain road is pretty tame). hehehe. Really was apparent how low your '97 was compared to my '94. Also VERY apparent as to the superior exhaust routing on the '94. As we discussed, that was something Ken Hanna mentioned yesterday, but to actually see it - WOW!

Brentbba said:
Eric,

You obviously posted this one up after I stopped by yesterday to show off my brand new, very dirty Hanna sliders (yes Ken - went right out and got them dirty - no hits - Hi Mountain road is pretty tame). hehehe. Really was apparent how low your '97 was compared to my '94. Also VERY apparent as to the superior exhaust routing on the '94. As we discussed, that was something Ken Hanna mentioned yesterday, but to actually see it - WOW!

well, it probably looks worse than it really is. From glancing at yours, looks like mine are only about an inch lower. Sooo, let's see, if I lift it 2" I come ahead, right...? :) you really got to cut this garage door higher... :)

Have an exhaust shop cut them off, rotate them 90 degrees, and weld them back. Works a charm.

can't one just cut them, rotate them and put them back on with some sort of clamp or bolt-on thing rather than welding? No such thing?

Cut and turn 90 degrees. As someone else said, works like a charm :D
cats_2.JPG

alia176 said:
Cut and turn 90 degrees. As someone else said, works like a charm :D

No heat issues, right? On the floorboard that is.......Wondering cause that along with sliders is the way i'm aiming.

you can be sure that this being a superlative offroad vehicle, the Toy engineers thought long and hard about ground clearance. There must be a reason why these cats are vertical, and yes, heat to floor seems the likely reason...

so nobody knows how low their cats are? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom