How I went from two 62's in my garage to none in two weeks...... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JToobe

SILVER Star
Threads
As many of you know, I sold our beloved red '88 62 on April 22nd to a good home in New Iberia, LA. Back in December I found a grey '89 62 that was a perfect candidate for restoring and Grey is my favorite color for that model. It had a few things that needed to be addressed and so it resided at Trollhole's until just a couple days before Big Red was getting picked up, so they only got to hang out for a few nights together!
Friends.JPG

So on April 22nd all went according to plan and Big Red began her journey to her new home.

New owner (2).JPG

The next two weeks I had a lot of business travel to do so we shuffled cars around and my youngest daughter asked to drive the Grey 62 and my wife was glad to be driving the '94 80 that I originally bought for her 2.5 years ago that the youngest princess claimed when she began driving! So everyone was happy except for dad, who was stuck driving the Avalon due to road trips!
Thursday evening youngest princess has a pre-prom meeting at a girlfriends house and enroute on N Pleasantburg near the Home Depot, a car makes a sudden right turn without turn signals. The car ahead of her slams on brakes and she brakes hard as well but the 62 loses traction due to the wet conditions and slides into the left/center lane where it is struck by a pickup truck who was going far too fast witnesses reported. The impact spins her around over 360 degrees and both front tires impacted the curb and pop, denting the rims. The most important thing: fortunately she is unhurt, just shaken up but is absolutely devastated about the car. Unfortunately she is charged with fault for encroaching into the other lane. I accept the blame as the tires are down to the last bit of tread and should have been replaced. Highly expect it to get totaled but am currently set on buying her back and getting it back on the road. Fortunately I have 7 60/62 chrome rims, a front bumper and complete front grill for a 62 in my garage (the beginnings of a hoarder!) and think I know where I can get a front quarter panel! I have confidence the wizards at Trollhole's can work some magic! Starting this post to document the rising of the phoenix from the ashes as my plans for this was to get it looking really good as my daily driver!

5 4 17 Accident 3.JPG
5 4 17 Accident 4.JPG
5 4 17 Accident 6.JPG

Last edited:
Jeff, that is terrible but glad everyone is ok. As a parent of teenage daughters, I know the drill with the tears! Any frame/suspension damage?When life gives you lemons....time for a major refurb job and make it better than it was! Post up pictures of the progress.

Jeff, that is terrible but glad everyone is ok. As a parent of teenage daughters, I know the drill with the tears! Any frame/suspension damage?When life gives you lemons....time for a major refurb job and make it better than it was! Post up pictures of the progress.

Thanks Ernest....It was towed to a lot in Greer and then transported Friday to a lot in Spartanburg that USAA uses for inspecting cars they insure. I haven't been able to see it but plan to take Marshall early next week and look it over. I am hoping for the best!

Thanks Ernest....It was towed to a lot in Greer and then transported Friday to a lot in Spartanburg that USAA uses for inspecting cars they insure. I haven't been able to see it but plan to take Marshall early next week and look it over. I am hoping for the best!
That stinks! Glad everyone is healthy though.

Let me know when you are in Spartanburg and we can go drown sorrows at Hub City Taphouse.

That stinks! Glad everyone is healthy though.

Let me know when you are in Spartanburg and we can go drown sorrows at Hub City Taphouse.

Envision it being during lunch but will see. It's near the Upward Campus off Hwy 29, Nazareth Church Rd. The lot is a car parting out facility so I have a bit of anxiety to get it back quickly! Like @emac, I have had great experiences with USAA over the last 31 years of membership!

I'm glad your daughter made it out of the ordeal unscathed. Its difficult to stop a 6,000lb truck and difficult to maneuver without antilock brakes and I'm sure I'm stating the obvious. The Gray will rise again! Yep! I named her for you.

That stinks. But like you said the car can be replaced and she wasn't hurt. Good luck on the rebuild

Glad your girl was OK.

Sorry your girl was crashed.

Hope to see your girls back together again in the future.

You need to Pull craigslist and other comparable FJ 62 listings.
My carrier, Wawanesa, try to lowball me. They ended up giving me nine Thousand and I bought it back for 1000. The damage was a lot worse than yours. Glad your daughter made it out OK.

Of course the most important thing occurred, your daughter is fine.
That 62 will be back on the road in no time. I think the BAT adds wil be very helpful. Documentation...,..

Sorry to hear that Jeff. Hopefully the frame is still straight and the axle is not bent!

What's the latest?

Patiently waiting, growing impatient and will be calling USAA this afternoon if no word by then.....got a call from them Monday morning from lady who claim is assigned to but awaiting the USAA dude in Spartanburg to inspect it.

Also being tempted by internet window shopping but remaining resolute to wait outcome of claim......

Started making calls and asking questions about status......found out vehicle is still at yard of tow truck service. Rep who called me back said they were awaiting me to release the vehicle to them.....my response was "how was I to do that, USAA sent the tow truck to pick it up as that is covered under our policy. Wife and daughter cleaned out vehicle before it being towed away". Apparently we were to take the plate as well but none of this was mentioned or asked about in conversation with Claim rep on Monday. So a week has passed and nothing much has happened! Got some apologies and thanked for my 31 years of membership but that's not helping right now.......I just may have to post up on the ONSC Rant Thread!
Will be going to see it tomorrow morning, hopefully @Trollhole will be able to join me....I'm either going to need a shoulder to cry on or someone to restrain me although I'm not frustrated with the Tow company.....yet!

Hard to Love your fellow man when dumb stuff like this happens!

Not to steer this thread away from the true direction, but stay on TOP of USAA. Had them for many years and while still happy, they seem to take some hand holding now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom