How bad did I %*&! up? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1979 BJ40 Be engine, 4 speed.
I am having a problem with getting the starter motor to engage, so I've been roll-starting to get it going while I try to figure it out.

Just now I dropped it into 2nd gear while rolling at about 10mph, but missed the gear box and was in reverse instead - and popped the clutch. The engine 'popped', and while it *did* start running, exhaust was coming out of the engine and the truck only moved in 1st gear position - but that engaged the reverse gear. I was able to back it into the driveway and shut it off. WTF did I do?

PXL_20221029_152645568.jpg

Did the engine start running in the opposite direction?

Did the engine start running in the opposite direction?
I just did some furious googling and it looks like that is indeed possible. It *appears* that as long as it doesn't run long enough in that state to get oil bubbles in the pan and throw a rod, it should be not that damaging for a short period. I estimate I drove it in 1st gear position ( but in reverse ), for about 20 seconds to get it into my driveway.

But now I am afraid to start it again

I don’t think I’d try starting again until you get the starter working. Constantly compression starting isn’t good for a lot of parts through the whole drivetrain.

I don’t think I’d try starting again until you get the starter working. Constantly compression starting isn’t good for a lot of parts through the whole drivetrain.
Thank you - weird thing is that I recently had the starter motor rebuilt, and replaced the replay switch. It was working OK but now it's acting up again. I can't seem to nail down the issue.

Maybe remove and bench test? That would isolate if it’s the starter or wiring in the cruiser. How’s the battery cables and grounds?

Maybe remove and bench test? That would isolate if it’s the starter or wiring in the cruiser. How’s the battery cables and grounds?
The wiring is all new, battery is new, cables are new, ground wire seems solid.

I'm going to pull the starter and see if I can get it to engage, but with a new relay and a rebuilt starter I am now wondering if it's something in the wiring from ignition > relay > starter.

Try doing a remote start. Connect "remote starter" to starter and battery, glow your plugs, turn the ignition to start position press the remote starter. You can also try using you booster cables connect from the negative side on the battery to ground and do the same from the positive side on the battery and starter. I have had similar issue with a hj47. I can glow my plugs but won't start unless I use a remote starter. I untaped the wire harness from the ignition end and found a cold solder joint about 2-3 from the ignition switch. I used vise grips to make a solid connect. I have yet to fix it correctly. Anyhow, i hope you find it, good luck.

Try doing a remote start. Connect "remote starter" to starter and battery, glow your plugs, turn the ignition to start position press the remote starter. You can also try using you booster cables connect from the negative side on the battery to ground and do the same from the positive side on the battery and starter. I have had similar issue with a hj47. I can glow my plugs but won't start unless I use a remote starter. I untaped the wire harness from the ignition end and found a cold solder joint about 2-3 from the ignition switch. I used vise grips to make a solid connect. I have yet to fix it correctly. Anyhow, i hope you find it, good luck.
Thanks - I bench-tested the starter and it's good, so I'm going to trace back through the harness today to see if I can find a source for the break.

What did you use for a remote starter?

That will work. The idea is you be bypassing part of the ignition circuit. And if you have a temp . Work around in the mean time.

The remote starter i use reaches into the the cab and it has power indicator on the switch handle. Also remember it passes a continuity check it does not mean it's good. It's only considered after it passes a load test. A bad connection like broken wire or a cold solder joint will most diffinately give this type indication.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom