Hotshot starter relay 30202 kit for intermittent starting install ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Still having the intermittent starting issue on my 94 and I was hoping for some help. Let me tell you a bit about what i have done. First I cleaned all the contacts, worked for a week or so, then I checked the starter and cleaned it and eventually ordered a Denso starter, worked for a few days or so, then I found the thread to check the neutral safety switch and on the 94 I removed the starter again to get to the connections above the starter. I took them apart and they did not look bad at all but I got some electrical parts spray and a tooth brush and cleaned them all and put some di electric grease and connected. Again worked for about 4 days until today and again the click. I also ordered the painless performance hotshot 30202 relay kit after reading about it. Roncruiser mentioned just to skip the other "fixes" and install this kit. I thought I saw somewhere that he mentioned that it has been years with no problems. I need help regarding the install. Below is a link for the install and I dont know sh#t about electrical.

http://www.painlessperformance.com/Manuals/30202.pdf

Step 5: Where do I connect the heavy gauge purple wire to the same small terminal i removed the wire from in step 3, useing the yellow ring. It only has the black connector that connects to the starter.

Step 7: Where should I splice in the small purple wire to the wire from step 3?

Any help would be appreciated. Electrical fixes are new to me and I dont want to start cutting wires if I am not confident of what I am doing. If anyone has installed this kit please let me know and offer your help.

Step five... The heavy gauge purple wire connects to the spade terminal on your starter. Do not use the ring terminal.

The signal wire to the starter, is what you'd connect to the small purple wire in step 7.

Step 6 is totally wrong. :beer: is step six. :p

Thanks for the reply maltesrunner. the original wire that connects to the starter is a plastic connector(is'nt this also the signal wire on the starter), do I cut the oem connector off and use a spade with the two wires connected? or do I strip some of the wire away from the original and connect the heavy guage purple wire ?

Im just a bit confused and dont want to mess anything up.

That should be the wire you'd connect to the smaller purple wire.

There are only two wires. One larger wire from the battery to the starter. This is the wire that powers the starter motor, with enough current to crank over your engine.

The second, smaller wire, activates the solenoid on the starter. This circuit is where the problem lies.

There are several components, connections, and a lot of small gauge wire in that circuit. It becomes weak with age, due to corrosion and weak connections. Toyota did not install a starter relay on our Landcruisers. Your kit is installing a relay. The purpose of the relay is to supply more direct power to the starter solenoid itself. The original circuit, in it's aged state, has enough current to activate a small relay, but is not reliably activating the starter solenoid.

I set this up using my own wiring, and a Bosch style relay, and have had reliable, instant, starting since.

I think I got it now, I was thinking if I cut the oem wire with the clip that connects to the solenoid and if I take the cut end and connect that to the thicker heavy guage purple wire, it will be a good sealed connection at the starter (oem clip that was cut off). If I just use the spade lug, debree will get into the connection. Do you think this is a good idea? Then I just connect the small purple wire with the connector to the cut end on the activation wire. Thanks again for your help.

It would probably be okay, but you would be creating a bottleneck at the solenoid, terminating the purple wire with the smaller gauge of the original connector. (If I'm reading that correctly). I just used a proper sized spade terminal for the new wire to plug onto the solenoid.

I am few years late to this conversation but am in the process if installing the same Hot Shot 30202 on my 94 FZJ-80. The provided instruction from Painless make absolutely no sense. Can you confirm a few things?
  • The large gauge purple wire goes to the spade connection on the starter
  • The large gauge red wire goes to other (bolt down) connector on the starter
  • Where does the small gauge purple wire go? Where do I tap into my ignition switch.
Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom