Hot tranny (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
And I don't mean that in the San Francisco lingo either...

My 1996 200k mile 80 stays in the middle of the temp gauge for engine temp, but the transmission is getting so hot I feel it in the center console. Pulled over and the tranny was to hot to touch. ~90 degrees outside and a little gear in the back, but not too heavy.

Stock gearing with 285s - never noticed the hot tranny before, but I'm the second owner and may have never noticed it before.

Is this something to worry about?

x2 My center consol always gets hot, not enough heat shield under it.

Nothing to worry about as long as you know that the ATF fluid is not old, worn out or burnt and the level is correct (the most important part)

I have a trans temp gauge on the trans exit line right before it enters the cooler and my temps get up to 180ish after ALOT of stop and go driving, i.e. 20-30 mins. After prolonged stop-n-go heavy traffic it will get to 200-210 after a good while, i.e. hours . At highway speeds it is around 140-160.

Great to know, stop and go traffic was the one variable I left out of my description of the driving conditions.

Thanks 'Mud!

...that's just sick.

Nothing to worry about as long as you know that the ATF fluid is not old, worn out or burnt and the level is correct (the most important part)

I have a trans temp gauge on the trans exit line right before it enters the cooler and my temps get up to 180ish after ALOT of stop and go driving, i.e. 20-30 mins. After prolonged stop-n-go heavy traffic it will get to 200-210 after a good while, i.e. hours . At highway speeds it is around 140-160.

x2 on those temps under use, although even short stop and go will send me to 200 pretty quick when it's warm outside. i put an autometer gauge in the line before and after the cooler (on the new tranny :bang:). i typically do not break 200F (but not far from it) unless it's is a loong incline where i can't keep the TC locked. if you are worried about it i can tell you temps are VERY volatile, both up and down if you are at highway speed, and torque converter lock is key to keeping them low under load. i will usually lock out OD if i can't keep the TC locked in it. when you lock out OD the TC will lock pretty reliably in 3rd. my temps are also not towing anything.

i also have the 442 with more losses so it wouldn't surprise me if my temps are a little higher and more volatile than you guys with 343's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom