Horrible gas mileage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

also, the t-stat isn't a bad fix at all, just remember to get the gasket.

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=1;threadid=13261;start=msg122708#msg122708 date=1079544196]
true, I corrected my mpg for the oversized tires.....I would hardly call 33x9.5's ballon tires however :flipoff2:
[/quote]

Pimp,

You're normal humor isn't up to par today :) I was responding to the original poster about calibrating for the bigger sized tires. For all I know he has 33x15.5s. Your tires are not balloon tires, there bicycle tires :flipoff2:

I used to get 8-10 with my mostly stock '78, and then it didn't change at all when I went from stock 29s to 32s. I haven't checked it since I put on the 35s, but I can't imagine it getting better!

I only get 6-7 mpg in my 75. It's tottaly stock and everything tuned and restored. I am running 31's tho but shouldn't be that big a deal. I've seen where people post these 12-15 mpg stats but I have never seen it.

just got back from a 160 mile drive. didn't do too bad. 162.4 miles & 13.07 gallons : 12.43 mpg.

like i said i have 31s, a late 2F, a 3spd, freshly rebuilt holley 2brl, electronic dist., an exhaust leak (still), and countless other things wrong. the engine is in real good shape though; even compression, etc.

i might just be lucky or something, but i know that i had it runnin 14+ mpg consistently last year/summer doin stuff from interstate to camp roads (almost as fast :D).

i'd let you take my mpg's but you'd have to take the rest of the cruiser with it and that's no deal, ha ha.

i am startin to get worried though, prices are still goin up on gas down here. i only drove it twice fall semester and now gas costs $1.57 for the cheap stuff. this summer is was at/below $1.30 the whole time. oh well.

have a good one,

malphrus

I've been getting about 8-9 mpg all winter. In the summer I get about 10-12. Though my hubs have been locked since 11 Nov. :) Sounds 8 sounds about right for a heavy brick flying through the air.

Hmmm. And here I was thinking taller gearing would help a 40's mileage on the highway. Isn't that the idea of 'rubber OD', or going to an overdrive tranny?

My truck seems to get about 13-15mpg. It has 28" tall 235/75/15's which are an inch taller than the stock H78's I pulled off it. I will be putting on 31's shortly and was expecting some mileage improvement. The truck has a 32DIR weber and recently HEI, but otherwise a stock F/3spd combo.

The fact that your trail and city mileage is that low may not be shocking, but I'd expect on the open road it'd do much better, unless you like doing +70mph, then it would suck equally as bad :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom