Hood Lining (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Billyfj7312ht

Should only take ten minutes
Threads
Hi

I have been thinking about whether I should put a heat/noise liner under my hood?
Not sure whether I need one? I live in a mild to hot climate all year round.
Wouldn't it be cooler under the hood without a liner? The paint on the bonnet would already hold huge temperatures from the sun.
Would the heat generated from the engine have a better chance to dissipate through the hood from air travelling over my hood then trapping it under the hood liner?

Any advise would be appreciated.
Billy

IMG_5103.JPG

If you do end up going the direction of the hood liner, the OEM iteration is still available from Toyota: 53341-90K06. Get it locally. You need the clips as well: 90467-09006. You'll need a dozen or so.

I've always been a fan of hood liners--Both for sound dampening as well as keeping heat in when needed.

fullsizeoutput_4718.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_471b.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_4719.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_471a.jpeg

If you do end up going the direction of the hood liner, the OEM iteration is still available from Toyota: 53341-90K06. Get it locally. You need the clips as well: 90467-09006. You'll need a dozen or so.

I've always been a fan of hood liners--Both for sound dampening as well as keeping heat in when needed.

View attachment 1610495 View attachment 1610496 View attachment 1610497 View attachment 1610498

Thanks, I'll keep those handy numbers incase I go that way. I want to put one on for the noise, but not if it will make engine bay temperatures rise alot.

Hello,

Actually it takes 22 clips to hold the lining/insulator in place. Two 10-piece packs and some more...

The hood insulator tends to be missing in mild to hot climate Cruisers, as well as in gas-powered ones. Or so I have noticed.

Juan

Last edited:
@beno I need one for my 75. Got one here in the US and how much?

Its also great mouse bate! And chipmunks like it too! Peppermint spray seems to help.

For my many years in Edmonton, my BJ70 had the OEM plus an extra liner on the hood. Worked great to maintain engine heat. When I moved the BJ70 to the southern states, I removed all hood liners since it runs cooler without. That's my 2-cents.

Yea i would recommend, and will get getting a replacement soon. Got a little scare when i was driving in the sleet and it started steaming the water off, thought there was an issue with my rad

All my landcruisers have had one. I was told the paint on the bonnet deteriorates without it. Truefit carpets have some very nice aftermarket insulation for the 7* series. Last time I asked, Toyota wanted your first and second born as payment.

I put a pacifier in my air compressor and the pacifier shot up into the liner. No damage to the hood. Definitely a necessary part
3D794C1B-68FC-4679-98F9-8D1DAE1B0C98.jpeg
F3CF0BE0-D26B-448C-8DA3-6A6D8A81CF74.jpeg

I added one back to mine. It wasn‘t super cheap but I prefer having that barrier between the engine and my hood.
GHwM6MF.jpg

Any luck patching a hole (9-10” dia) in middle of the Insulation? 3M tape or something? The majority of the insulator is in okay shape.

Mine came with that sliver insulator tape in place but it came off after a few months. Not sure how easy these would be to patch with tape with the heat they put out under the hood.

i've been toying with the idea of a hood liner. I live in the tropics so heat retention is never an issue... but i think my only real option is something spray/paint on. anything that mice or rats might enjoy is a non-starter.

Any luck patching a hole (9-10” dia) in middle of the Insulation? 3M tape or something? The majority of the insulator is in okay shape.
I would recommend butyl adhesive tape.
(Also used to seal off roofs, rain gutters and stuff - builders market)
Sticks like hell, also when becoming warm.
On the matter: My BJ73 came with a homemade dampener made from closed cell PU foam, aka Wallmart insulating camping mattress. Works well in terms of sound dampening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom