Hood front rubber seal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I noticed the other day that I am missing the rubber seal along the front of the hood.
The 2 pieces are still above the head lights but the long piece in the center is missing.

How I missed this over the years I do not know.

Does it really make a difference if I dont have the rubber seal on the front of the hood?

When I bought my LC, I noticed there wasn't a rubber seal there either. I tried to order it and was told by a Toyota parts manager that there is no rubber gasket there. Take that for what it's worth!

I noticed the other day that I am missing the rubber seal along the front of the hood.
The 2 pieces are still above the head lights but the long piece in the center is missing.

How I missed this over the years I do not know.

Does it really make a difference if I dont have the rubber seal on the front of the hood?

In AZ it will make a difference in cooling.
It keeps the hot air from your engine compartment from being pulled into the front of your radiator. The same as the rubber/foam gasket between your radiator and core support.

53381-60010 Hood to radiator support seal
90467-08011 Clips to hold the seal

When I bought my LC, I noticed there wasn't a rubber seal there either. I tried to order it and was told by a Toyota parts manager that there is no rubber gasket there. Take that for what it's worth!

I have a '91 and I can confirm that they DO exist. Mine is in place although its a bit stretched out and sagging in 2 places. Not sure how that happened, but PO did lots of interesting things to this rig.

Mine was MIA when the truck was purchased. I took a piece of the plastic and rubber edge molding and laid it in there to block the gap. Yeah, in cooler climes, maybe not an issue if it's missing, but where it's hot, I agree it's a really good idea to mind the gap.

I own a 95 FZJ80 and only noticed the middle part of the hood trim was missing after the headlight parts started to fall off. Ordered all three and both the headlight trim parts went on perfectly. The middle piece, TOYOTA OEM Hood-Front Seal Gasket 5338160010 is not even close. It overlaps the headlight parts and the fasteners do not match the holes in the hood at all. I have to admit that I have owned the truck for 18 years and work on it myself and have never noticed if it went missing after being serviced.

I own a 95 FZJ80 and only noticed the middle part of the hood trim was missing after the headlight parts started to fall off. Ordered all three and both the headlight trim parts went on perfectly. The middle piece, TOYOTA OEM Hood-Front Seal Gasket 5338160010 is not even close. It overlaps the headlight parts and the fasteners do not match the holes in the hood at all. I have to admit that I have owned the truck for 18 years and work on it myself and have never noticed if it went missing after being serviced.

It goes over the core support, so shouldn't interfere with the headlight eyebrows.

Hey Tools - do you mean that it's not installed on the hood? Another data point is that the part I got (53381-60010) is longer than the gap between the two pieces over each headlamp.

On my 1993 I replaced the hood weatherstripping a few years ago and the part was a direct fit as stated above. I’m thinking it even came with the clips. Fits like a glove

Is this what you’re talking about? On mine it’s one piece.
3B247D89-7BF8-48AA-8F38-EB11051F15D3.jpeg

There’s some confusion here...unlike the rubber pieces directly above the headlights, the center section does not align with the very leading edge of the hood. Instead, the center section is inset toward the glorious inline six and connects to the holes above the radiator support (aka the strip of formed steel directly in front of the radiator).

Take the part you bought and move it rearward.

I have owned three 80s and have never seen that on them, I didn’t even know that was a thing till now. Those spots on one of my 80s are used to mount the oem hood deflector. Does that serve the same purpose as the core support seal?

Yep, many were removed to install bug deflectors. Don't know that the eyebrow moldings have a purpose, so the same usefulness as the bug deflector?

So what do these pieces do?

I have owned three 80s and have never seen that on them, I didn’t even know that was a thing till now. Those spots on one of my 80s are used to mount the oem hood deflector. Does that serve the same purpose as the core support seal?

My guess is they reduce outside pressure under the hood to force maximum flow through the radiator. Toyota did something similar when they deleted the aux fan off the 2003+ 100 series. Once the fan was deleted they added additional air blockage to the front. But :meh:

I do know I have them on both my 80's and one is turbocharged and they both run cool in AZ.:popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom