Homemade, portable air and power, strong like bear! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I really like my power box, but it's too heavy to just whip out and air up bicycle tires, wheelbarrow tire, and whatnot. It's like 70 lbs. I wanted something I could tote more easily. So I'm going to make another box that's smaller and lighter, more like what you'd buy at the box stores or HF. I started out with a really good Viair compressor. Its duty cycle is 100%.

Then I discovered that Harbor Freight sells knock-off Pelican boxes that are significantly cheaper and seemingly just as good (it was just a matter of time). They call it an "Apache." Because of "rugged mobility." Are Native Americans known for water-tight plastic cases? Why not "Commanche?" Or "Navajo?" Why not "Bedouin Arab?" Just kidding. :)

Anyway, I won't feel as bad drilling into these cheaper cases for the various switches and hose outlets needed for this project. I've also decided to use a pair of lithium motorcycle batteries for weight-savings. Just ordered those. I'll start assembling and wiring things together when they get here. Never mind the gingerbread house in the background.

IMG_1385.jpg
IMG_1387.jpg
IMG_1388.jpg
IMG_1389.jpg

Maybe leave a little space between the compressor head and the plastic box.... the head will get pretty hot if you run it for any length of time at higher pressures. (AGAIN I'm worried about heat!)

Maybe leave a little space between the compressor head and the plastic box.... the head will get pretty hot if you run it for any length of time at higher pressures. (AGAIN I'm worried about heat!)

Roger that. This Viair compressor doesn't have the built in cooling fan like the ARB Twinair does in my other box. If there's enough room, I might even install a computer fan like you suggested earlier. I don't mind hacking up a cheap Harbor Freight box for experimentation.

Got the batteries. They are startlingly light. Now I’m thinking about using them for my big air box. Going to be a good fit for this little project. They also have this nice little test/meter feature.

79492B4A-FD53-4AA7-8701-EBF5C74D84B9.jpeg
D3B80A00-7ACC-4FEC-923D-2DA2126D6F6B.jpeg
418F034A-C3F1-4876-B7C1-54CE9C0B3DF4.jpeg
8E14B1D1-2B20-42A6-B82A-F185565C875F.jpeg

0B506B83-2BC3-42CA-8B01-43CA250B1956.jpeg
I don’t think so. Maybe you were looking at the suggested charging rate? The individual batteries are 300 CCA, and I have used a similar one on my electric-start super motard race bike for a year with no issues.

Getting serious about the assembly of the box, I set up shop in the living room. I get away with this, because my wife is the best.

I will be curious to see how long it'll run the compressor filling tires etc (to get some PSI into the test). I'd like to build a similar box although I'd like to have less $ into the batteries 'cause I'm cheap.

Just about done. I need to order a bulkhead fitting for the air hose, maybe. I’m also going to research cooling fans. Then I need to button everything down.

Shrouded switch is for main power. Red illuminated switch is for air, green switch is for light. The voltage meter also incorporates two USB charging ports.

06C6E3BF-403B-43A1-AC03-56E1B77CEBED.jpeg
CFEF2DD8-EA01-4590-94F3-0D8218417415.jpeg
F7001E65-D609-44F2-AFAB-4694CD9E9C19.jpeg
512A022F-4F10-4610-A0CF-4DC6ADBD09A3.jpeg
FD527B1F-3B7C-4822-B1EB-644B16487D1A.jpeg

Thanks! It's fun to do. When I bought this smaller box, I also had one of my kids with me at Harbor Freight, and we bought an even smaller case for toys and nick-nacks. Only $15. I'm looking at it now, it's about a quarter the volume of this latest box, like half a loaf of bread, and I'm thinking I can squeeze in a single Li-ion motorcycle battery and a small compressor in it, and the same strip lights on the outside. This is becoming an obsession...

IMG_1464.jpg

Make it into a portable battery pack for campsite lights. Get some lightstands and LED floods, some weatherproof wire and some powerpoles to connect it all up! (USB charge ports as well of course!) Maybe rig so a lightstand can mount to the case instead of freestanding?

Let me know when you 2 guys get your "Camp-fire-Light" company going. I'll pick one up once mass production lowers the cost! ;)

Let me know when you 2 guys get your "Camp-fire-Light" company going. I'll pick one up once mass production lowers the cost! ;)

I show off my handiwork to my wife, and she asks why I can't make and sell these for a living? I confided that my big box with the ARB Twin Air cost about $1K (except that I won the $500 compressor at a raffle), and that this box is about $500. I don't think the general public, even enthusiasts, would be willing to pay that, no matter how good the innards are.

I'm also using Ancor ($$) marine-grade wire and marine terminals for everything.

IMG_1447.jpg

Very cool. Well, if you do start making them and selling them, I'm going to buy one and have a friend dress up in a dark suit with an earbud on and follow me around with it like it's the nuclear football...

Okay, James, since you mentioned it, I've been calling this project the nuclear football, so that's its official name. It's pretty much done. Used AN fittings for the air lines, added a pressure switch, air pressure gauge, and a cooling fan.

IMG_1547.jpg
IMG_1548.jpg
IMG_1552.jpg
IMG_1554.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom