Holiday Run? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GTSSportCoupe

2LTE abuser
Threads
I'm free Dec 27th to Jan 3rd if anyone is interested in getting out for some wheeling. If there is any interest, let me know your preferred dates.

At this point I'd imagine there is snow pretty much everywhere. I'm wondering if it's mixing with rain right now though as things have warmed up? Or maybe nice powder at higher elevations? Might be a bit of a crapshoot.... We'll put @seapotato out front to break trail and figure it out....:rofl:

Last edited:
Weather looks good Monday/Tuesday, but maybe most are back to work then.

Could make a New Years Day run, or the Sat/Sun after.

Lots of views, but no interest; so maybe no matter. :meh:

Sorry I’m holed up at home for this long weekend getting drunk fat and lazy!

With ya, just got the plates on. Everything checked. Gotta load gear. Would those chains you
have work on the 34”x11” Toyo’s?

With ya, just got the plates on. Everything checked. Gotta load gear. Would those chains you
have work on the 34”x11” Toyo’s?

Right on! Well, will be at least two of us.

No, don't think my chains will fit 34". To be honest, I realize now chains don't help much in the deep snow anyhow. They're great for ice or compact snow of course.

Just name a place/time/day to meet and those of us who can will be there ... those who can't will see the pics. Hopefully I will be in attendance with my BJ 40 (stock). :bounce2:

Sounds good! Will be good to meet you if you're able to make it.

I'm free Dec 27th to Jan 3rd if anyone is interested in getting out for some wheeling. If there is any interest, let me know your preferred dates.

At this point I'd imagine there is snow pretty much everywhere. I'm wondering if it's mixing with rain right now though as things have warmed up? Or maybe nice powder at higher elevations? Might be a bit of a crapshoot.... We'll put @seapotato out front to break trail and figure it out....:rofl:
Unless by out front you mean strapped to the bumper, I'll be at home.
I'm trying to envision a scenario where I'd voluntarily expose myself to the gross misery of snow, when a warm pub afterwards isn't an option.

I'll get back to you if I think of something. :lol:

How about a good ol' snow wheel up north main on Monday?

Ill be up North Main Monday putting around with the family and a buddy (in his Ranger) Keep an eye out.

Are we going to have a meetup location? Maybe 10:30 @ the sooke A&W?

Sounds like a plan ! Hope to see you up there somewhere :idea:
Are we going to have a meetup location? Maybe 10:30 @ the sooke A&W?

Hey Guys, OK, sounds like a plan. I'm easy with anytime really, but lets run with Jordan's suggestion of 10:30am @ Sooke A&W for now (unless @OTBT prefers something different?)

As my kids are out of school still, I'll be bringing them along. Probably goes without saying, but as this is a club event and family friendly, lets please keep it alcohol/weed free.

@OTBT, you say your BJ40 is stock. What size/type of tires do you have on it? Do you have a set of chains? I have a set of four v-bar chains that are pretty easy to install and fit 31-32" tires. I can throw them in just in case. Also, airing down makes a huge difference in the types of conditions we'll be seeing. Are you comfortable with that? I have compressor etc. if you need air.

I've been up that road many times over the years at this time of year. Given the conditions I saw up there a week ago, and the weather we've just had, I am expecting it to be quite icy for the first few kms. Hopefully as we get higher in elevation we will reach some nice fresh snow however. We'll just take our time and play it by ear.

I'll have my recovery gear, stihl chainsaw, and a bin of firewood. I'll also be packing lunch for myself/kids. I'll have radios along too.

We'll respect COVID recommendations of course - distancing, masks when necessary....

Hi all - I have a winch (20,000 lbs), 2 chains, shovel, 31" tires, compressor, radio, etc. I have a key to the Butler Gate, but I don't recall ever going up North Main via Jordan River. The conditions of my key are pretty strict so lets follow the plan and meet at the A & W in Sooke at 10:30. I will also be bringing my BIG black dog (a newf) unless anyone oblects, and possibly my wife (chuckle in the peanut gallery) :cheers:

Hi all - I have a winch (20,000 lbs), 2 chains, shovel, 31" tires, compressor, radio, etc. I have a key to the Butler Gate, but I don't recall ever going up North Main via Jordan River. The conditions of my key are pretty strict so lets follow the plan and meet at the A & W in Sooke at 10:30. I will also be bringing my BIG black dog (a newf) unless anyone oblects, and possibly my wife (chuckle in the peanut gallery) :cheers:

Right on! Hard to tell over the web if people are new or experienced to off road. Glad to hear you're in the 'experienced' and prepared category! No objections to the dog at all on my end.

I'm going to be out in Jordan River earlier this morning so I might not be able to drive back into sooke for the meet time so ill try to be at the Butler gate between 10:30 and 11:00

I'm going to be out in Jordan River earlier this morning so I might not be able to drive back into sooke for the meet time so ill try to be at the Butler gate between 10:30 and 11:00

@OTBT , I'll still meet you at the A&W. I'll aim to be there a touch after 10am, and will wait until you arrive.

@Sweatyforehead , We're not going up Butler Main. Why don't you meet us in the parking lot at the base of North Main at 11:00am? That's about when we'll arrive.

@OTBT , I'll still meet you at the A&W. I'll aim to be there a touch after 10am, and will wait until you arrive.

@Sweatyforehead , We're not going up Butler Main. Why don't you meet us in the parking lot at the base of North Main at 11:00am? That's about when we'll arrive.
OK - as close to 10 am as I can get, in the A&W parking lot. Thanks - see you then !

Sounds good I'll see you all on North Main

Was quite the day! Got into some deep snow up around 800-900m. Eventually decided it was a good time to stop and have lunch. Had a little fire and visited for a bit. Was pretty warm (2c) and snow was sticky and compacted easily. All trucks did well. The stock 40 did great once we put a pair of chains on the back, but was hung up a couple times due to less clearance. Allowed us to exercise our recovery gear a bit and added more dynamic to the day. Great to meet you @OTBT (and your wife and dog!).

Here are a few of my pictures/vids.

Slippery little hill climb:

OTBT:

Sweatyforhead:

IMG_20201228_144725888_HDR.jpg
IMG_20201228_134609512_HDR.jpg
IMG_20201228_142323324.jpg
IMG_20201228_135303857_HDR.jpg
IMG_20201228_145600344_HDR.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom