Hole in the rock trail (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Phil - Was your front bumper away from the rock 'just enough' the tires were able to start up the slope? Like > 35 degree AOA? I sure would like to see a video of that. Hint hint :bounce:

Phil - Was your front bumper away from the rock 'just enough' the tires were able to start up the slope? Like > 35 degree AOA? I sure would like to see a video of that. Hint hint :bounce:

Huge understatement. I need more pics and videos!

Smitty

The picture is going down the chute (pictured in post #6) notice the space under the driver rear tire.:eek: The video is scary

HITR 5.10.2014 219.avi_snapshot_01.06_[2014.05.19_20.55.44].jpg

I don't know Phil, that black 100 looks like it's staged; and backed up that slope. If it were coming down that track - assuming the rear wheels follow the front wheels like any other vehicle - it would have rolled over long before the left rear wheel lifted off the ground. No matter, posed or not, that's a precarious position he's in.

Staged?? really Tim:rolleyes:.....I have the full video of the 80 series (not 100) going down. That is just a screen shot off the video. When I find time to post the video not only is the picture 100% real he backs out of the situation and does the exact same thing again. Super high pucker factor just watching it happen.

WOWSERS!!! That must have been incredibly intense for Brian. He loves that 80! Great job capturing that Phil.

Smitty

WOWSERS!!! That must have been incredibly intense for Brian. He loves that 80! Great job capturing that Phil.

Smitty

Smitty when I post the video you will see that Brian was super calm during the situation. The bad was Brian was first then it was others turn and I can tell you that was not the line I wanted to be on. Once everyone was at the bottom and the drama was over the fear set in.:eek:

thats a LOOOONG way down the chute for that 80 if something bad happens....

Staged?? really Tim:rolleyes:.....I have the full video of the 80 series (not 100) going down. That is just a screen shot off the video. When I find time to post the video not only is the picture 100% real he backs out of the situation and does the exact same thing again. Super high pucker factor just watching it happen.

Just that from my armchair perspective it looks like his rig would have rolled over when the front was where the rear is now at... just doesn't look like there's any rock that would support the drivers side of the rig if he came down that way. I wasn't there, but I am just a bit exasperated that his left front could be where its at if he came down that way. LC's are great rigs and all, but as far as I know they don't float by rocks on two wheels, so I must be missing something. ;)

Oh - and yeah - I'd have picked a different line, too. That line could go bad in so many ways it isn't funny.

-- Curiosity got the best of me, so I searched YouTube... none look as interesting as how Brian did it. :)

Last edited:
Just that from my armchair perspective it looks like his rig would have rolled over when the front was where the rear is now at... just doesn't look like there's any rock that would support the drivers side of the rig if he came down that way. I wasn't there, but I am just a bit exasperated that his left front could be where its at if he came down that way. LC's are great rigs and all, but as far as I know they don't float by rocks on two wheels, so I must be missing something. ;)

Oh - and yeah - I'd have picked a different line, too. That line could go bad in so many ways it isn't funny.

-- Curiosity got the best of me, so I searched YouTube... none look as interesting as how Brian did it. :)

Here you go Tim 3 different angle

Here you go Tim 3 different angles

:eek:

Thanks for posting the video - it took me from confused/dubious to a firm believer.

It's all in the angle, the front view clears it up. I thought he was coming off a step on the passenger's side rather than the front dipping into a hole.

The several YouTubes I found of Jeeps coming down the Chute made it look simple. It clearly isn't. Kudos for the great guidance and filming.

:eek:

Thanks for posting the video - it took me from confused/dubious to a firm believer.

It's all in the angle, the front view clears it up. I thought he was coming off a step on the passenger's side rather than the front dipping into a hole.

The several YouTubes I found of Jeeps coming down the Chute made it look simple. It clearly isn't. Kudos for the great guidance and filming.

They are all simple if you are on the right line;)

Here you go Tim 3 different angle

Great video Phil! I guess that is a tough trail for the lead truck when no one has ever been there before and you just have to pick a line and commit. I am jealous that I wasn't there but glad that you guys captured some good footage!

Smitty

Great video Phil! I guess that is a tough trail for the lead truck when no one has ever been there before and you just have to pick a line and commit. I am jealous that I wasn't there but glad that you guys captured some good footage!

Smitty

I get no credit for the video of the chute. It was footage from Paul, Dave, and Brian.

Wow crazy video, scary!!!

;) I remember being halfway down that chute looking up at Paul May (Equipt) in his 100 years ago and he must have taken a similar line at that point. HUGE pucker and no where to run. There's some pretty technical spots on that trail and some amazing views. Thanks for the vid...got to re-live that all over again. ;)

;) I remember being halfway down that chute looking up at Paul May (Equipt) in his 100 years ago and he must have taken a similar line at that point. HUGE pucker and no where to run. There's some pretty technical spots on that trail and some amazing views. Thanks for the vid...got to re-live that all over again. ;)

The locals claim the trail is getting more dangerous with the shelf road sections becoming narrow and more off camber from the weather. I read where there is talk about having the trail evaluated, so Im glad I had the chance to do it. I was pretty comfortable with the trail until it started to rain. :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom