1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HJ60 2H burning oil

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech / 24 volts' started by skoki, Aug 20, 2006.

1. skoki

skoki

Media:
    Albums:
    My HJ60 2H is starting to burn a lot of oil and the clutch is starting to chatter. It has 400,000 km’s on it so that’s not too surprising. I want to go through the engine from top to bottom to find the cause of excessive oil use but I’m new to diesels so I would appreciate any tips or hints you guys could give me. Before I start I want to have everything in place so I can diagnose, replace, repair, etc as quickly as possible to minimize my down time. I put over 1000 km / 600 miles a week on my rig. Oil changes are killing me. Should I go to a bypass oil filter system? What brand? I’ve got the Toyota Engine repair manual so I’ll do the step by step they outline for engine tune-up. However I do have some questions.

1. Valve adjustment- What is the easiest way to turn crank to adjust valves. Not much room to get a socket in there. Looks like I’ll have to remove the clutch fan and rad shroud?
    2. Engine compression tester – I’m having trouble finding one for a high compression metric diesel. Can someone point me towards a retailer?
    3. Injection pump diaphragm, easy to replace, necessary to replace?
    4. Any excellent diesel mechanics in the Calgary, Alberta area?
    5. Best place to get a clutch and throwout bearing?

Any other filters, procedures, areas of concern, etc that I should do?

Skoki

2. roscoFJ73

roscoFJ73

Media:
    Albums:
    With 400000 klms on the clock I would guess a rebuild is on the horizon.
    Its most likely burning the oil it as it slips past the oil rings
    Compression testers can be found on Ebay but the diesel variety are more expensive. Expect to pay $150+

Turning the engine is easier if you remove the glow plugs,you will need to remove them anyway to do a compression test.

IMO you should test the compression before you spend money on anything else.

3. nickw

nickw

I am not an expert on the 2H by any means.
    But I think I remember reading that the rings on the 2H were prone to cracking. That could be your oil loss.

Has it just started buring oil? Or has it been slowly getting worse?

As far as good mechanics in Calgary.
    You came to the right place.
    Contact Wayne with www.luxuryimports.ca and www.crushersrule.com
    He is curshers on the board.
    He can help you with whatever you need.

Cheers,
    Nick

4. brownbear

brownbear Mod in Hibernation Moderator

for question #1. you could do a remote starter switch, bump it into place with the starter. Have you seen the remote starter switches?

#2 see if you can borrow one. No need to own for one test. buy a case of beer for one of the rocky mountain land cruiser guys who will lend it to you. Try Wayne(but he likes pepsi)......

#3, you can test it with a vacuum tester, found cheaply at princess auto, also good for checking for leaks in the brake and clutch booster. But the diaphram is cheaper then the tester.

#4, no idea. Learn to self proficent.

#5, try toyota. Then try 4wheelauto in edmonton for pricing. If the oem lasted 400k I would be leaning towards oem again.

5. Tapage

Tapage Club 4X4 Panamá SILVER Star

A lots of km .. ! in a week.

why do that . ?

Not necesary if you haven't a leak .. but if you can why not .. I replace mine at my overhaul at 447864 km ..

6. skoki

skoki

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for the replies. I've tried to get a hold of Wayne and the Rocky Mountain Cruisers and 4wheel Auto. Everybody must be busy because no one's getting back to me.

I made up a remote starter switch for my f250, can I use that for the 2H? Where do I hook up on the 2H?

I am fairly proficient with vehicles but I've got spinal arthritis so I can't spent much time wrenching so that means sometimes I have to farm it out.

Bypass filter is supposed to extend time between oil changes. An oil change every month is killing my pocketbook. FS2500 is one I've heard good things about. http://filtrationsolutionsww.com/

Anybody use 4wheelAuto for a diesel rebuild?

Yeah, I've got a 100km one way commute through the foothills to get to work. The upside is I've got GPS locations on over 100 old trucks. (My second hobby after 4 wheelin). I've located everything from a 40 Ford pickup in excellent original condition to a 66 Ford COE to a 63 Dodge D800 fifth wheel to a 64 Dodge 3/4T 4x4. That makes the commute worth it!

Thanks again for the help.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">