HJ60 2H 24v Wilson Switch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello!

I have wired a Wilson switch into my 1986 24v HJ60, but my plugs (new 20.5V) aren't glowing like they should, as I believe I'm only getting 12.5 volts to my relay and plugs.

What can I do to increase the voltage to my plugs to achieve a full glow? Right now my system is wired from one battery to the busbar via a generic 24v starter relay and is activated by a momentary switch on the dash. I'm kinda scratching my head over here, as I've looked at threads, diagrams, videos, and photos to get a better sense of what I'm doing wrong. Like, do I have to rig up a second wire from my other battery to the relay in order to get 24v?

Best,

Jack

The correct glow plugs for a 12V engine with a manual glow switch is 10.5 V.

A 24V engine may have 20.5V plugs or 14V plugs depending on the system - manual or super-glow.

There are no real differences between a 24V engine and a 12V engine per se, it's just the electrical items that are different. The 2Hs that were available in Canada were 24V, and not 12V.

hth, John

A quick search brought up this. Maybe you have the 14v plugs.

You've answered your own question. To get 24 volts to the plugs you need to rig a circuit in series to both batteries.

If you don't know the difference between parallel and series circuits, please have an electrician do the wiring for you.

You've answered your own question. To get 24 volts to the plugs you need to rig a circuit in series to both batteries.

If you don't know the difference between parallel and series circuits, please have an electrician do the wiring for you.
awesome, thanks man! I see you have a 24v system as well, do you have a photo of your series setup you could possibly share with me so I can get a better idea of how it should be all rigged together? that is, if you have a wilson switch setup.

JAck

I'm guessing its something like this... the batteries are already rigged up in a series, so I should be able to just run a wire from my far battery's positive terminal straight to the glow relay, yes?

1661441623991.png

Rigged it all up and she worked like a charm. Thanks for the guidance Freewheel, I appreciate it.

Glad it worked! Sorry I was offline for a few days there- wasn't able to answer your second question. I have the original Superglow system, so my knowledge of Wilson switches is mainly as a backup plan in case something really expensive or NLA goes wrong with the Superglow...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom