hj47 troopy side door entry.... thoughts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright guys this is my first post on mud,

Ive got an 81 hj47 troopy that I've had for the past 4 years was stock as when i bought it, 2h had 50000km on it from rebuild, body has 250xxx km in pretty good condition has had fibre glass guards and roof already on it few spots on the foot well were rust had been cut out.

and I've done the following.

diy snorkel
diy roof rack and tinny loader
modified jeep bulbar with 12000lb winch
custom rear bar with swing away jerry can and boat motor holder
rebuilt 60 series 5 speed
60 series disc break conversion
60 series power steering conversion
60 series hand brake
extended shackles
305 70 r16 toyo mud terrains
dual batterys
600w inverter
65ltr waeco
built some draws and stuff in the back and a bed but not really that happy with it.

There is probably a few things I've missed .

Any way what i want to do is where the sliding side windows are i want to cut a door in, I've photoshopped an old picture of the car ill try figure out how to upload it. i got the idea from a picture that came up on this forum of a 75series troopy.

Favorite expedition rig

I've added a few pictures hopefully they work. would allow side access to draws the fridge and camping gear, plus i wouldn't have to climb into the back to grab a beer out of the fridge could just lift a door.

what do you guys recon? if its done correctly, do you think it would de value the car?

any feed back is more than welcome. cheers jed.
side doors.jpg

P1010605.JPG

P1010606.JPG

i dont think you have to worry about devaluing the car much with any modifications you make, bc, honestly, youve already passed that point a while back. anyone who would want to buy the car would pay you what its worth bc its been built for a specific purpose. but that does limit your potential market to people who would use it for its purpose.

i say do the mod. do any mod you like. its your cruiser and ultimately you are the one who will make it into what you want it to be. my $0.02
built.jpg

Rather than cutting the top make a insert with a door
That would just replace one of the windows

Yeah your right vossie have definitely past that point.

Tin basher I looked into this couldn't figure out where to buy those windows, and while I was looking I started thinking how good it would be to have the fridge on a drop down slide and everything accessible from out side the car.... It would potentially be like a ute with a conopy tho I don't wanna have to sell and buy a ute after all the previously mentioned work I've done to it.

Steve Bradford do you know where to get those windows? I stumbled across one company that made them for Landrover defenders they wanted a mint for them.

Thanks for the replys guys.

Thanks steve . I'll look into them i recon it will cost a bit to ship over here.

Alright a little update, I have taken the roof off Ive been meaning to do this for some time..... its a fibreglass roof and the gutter was leaking and fairly rusty.
P1010677.JPG
rear corner^^^^^
P1010679.JPG
along the passenger rail^^^^ (notice the snapped off bolts rusty rusty)
P1010667.JPG
the rear corner of the side, the sides are in ok condition will patch em.^^
P1010671.JPG

P1010672.JPG
the gutter still on the roof.^^

Im going to re-build the gutter using 80mm x 20mm x 10mm - 1.5mm thick c section steel. Im using a wider c section because where I want to put the side doors in ill have to put a beam (using 50x50mmx3mm shs) in from behind the structural part of the door jams ill also be adding another post welded next to that part of the door jam. the beam will become the support for the roof where it bolts down too, its also the hinging point for the side door and also will become the outside of the car.

This will put the bolts for the roof that will be above the new door about 25mm further inward of the outside of the gutter, does anyone think this will have a negative affect on anything?

I've done a really dodgy drawing up on photo shop of what Im trying to explain up there^^^ hopefully I've written that so it can be understood.

alright been a while from my last reply but I've been busy,

got them pretty much ready for paint, gotta take a few more pics of that tho.
P1010098.JPG
P1010099.JPG
P1010108.JPG
P1010109.JPG

i think i have a few pictures on my phone pretty crap quality but ill up load them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom