HJ47 - 4WD dash light (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,

First post, long time reader and newly acquired first time owner of a HJ47 ute and loving it!

I have a question relating to the 4WD light on the centre of the dash (the lamp above brake / parking brake).

Mine is an Aussie delivered HJ47 and is being used as a farm truck, but I'm keeping it tip top running shape. There was some silver coloured tape over the 4WD light. Not sure if this was factory or previous owner(s). The light does not come on at all when I engage 4L or 4H. I've swapped the bulbs and I don't believe that is the issue. Are these meant to operate on the Aussie delivered ones?
Although its not super important as I won't be driving on asphalt, its bugging me and I'd like to repair it if I can.

Thanks in advance.

Tape is from previous owner it should work try connecting 12v to the light it self if it works its either the sensor or wiring near the gearbox

Will have a look now. Thx for the suggestions.
Is the light meant to come on with the ignition as well (even if not engaged in 4l/h)

It's on the side of the T case on the right side. Has two wires. Silver hex shape for a wrench with a black center. If you don't local it or someone doesn't post a picture can post a picture tomorrow.

It's on the side of the T case on the right side. Has two wires. Silver hex shape for a wrench with a black center. If you don't local it or someone doesn't post a picture can post a picture tomorrow.

Will I have to remove the bash plate to get to it or should it be pretty obvious from the drivers side?

Will I have to remove the bash plate to get to it or should it be pretty obvious from the drivers side?

With the inspection cover off it will be further back then the 4WD lever so look towards the back. Believe wires should be running up from the switch. See those and follow them. Reverse light with be at the back of the transmission on four speeds and front on five speeds.

With the bash plate off show be able to look up and see it close to the frame. Would have to inspect my 84 HJ47RV transfer case but think it will be behind the crossmember. Mine the wrecking yard smashed the switch removing the transmission & transfer case.

You can see the switch on the side just behind the 4WD shifter. While no a four speed the second pictures shows the switch better and can see where the wire go across the top behind the shifters.

IMG_1948.JPG
thumbnail_P1050222.jpg

Thank you for the assistance and photos too @Livinginthepast.

I've attached a modified version of your image. Am I correct that the switch is circled in green in the below photo?

tcase.jpg

Thank you for the assistance and photos too @Livinginthepast.

I've attached a modified version of your image. Am I correct that the switch is circled in green in the below photo?

View attachment 1484604

That's correct. I do not have a 4X series with one installed but can see in which way the wire heads. This out of a RHD 4X series so wiring and direction should be close to yours.

Thanks guys. There is 100% no switch in that location, nor a bung or similar as to where it would go. I took the top boot off the 4WD selector and can see a loom plug with nothing plugged in, so I'm guessing my transfer case may be off a different model or for some reason just didn't come with one from the factory?
At least I know its now not something which I can fix!

Thanks guys. There is 100% no switch in that location, nor a bung or similar as to where it would go. I took the top boot off the 4WD selector and can see a loom plug with nothing plugged in, so I'm guessing my transfer case may be off a different model or for some reason just didn't come with one from the factory?
At least I know its now not something which I can fix!

I would leave the wiring incase you end needing to replace the T case in the future. Use some electrical grease in the plug. Then wrap it with electrical tape. The case should have a date code stamped in it. Believe the RHD got the insert dash with the 4WD light with the 82 model 4X series. 83 for the LHD. Not sure on the 60 and 70 series. If it is from a earlier model believe idler shaft is 34 MM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom