High Mileage Advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there - I have a 2000 LX470 with ~270k miles. So far it's been trouble free aside from a few minor fixes here and there over the years (this forum has been a huge help with those BTW). Just curious for those of you with high mileage 100's... is this even considered high mileage for these trucks? Any advice on what I should be watching out for in the coming years or whether I should be nervous taking it on long trips? I'm assuming I'll have AHC problems at some point, but what about engine trouble? I'd love to start doing some light off-roading (I have zero experience), just not sure if it's smart with this many miles.

213k on a 99 LC, no ach and going strong. I do reasonable preventive maintanance and keep after the rust. Also it's my DD, I drive it every chance I get, because I love driving it. I take it off road and it has some damage. I just keep after it and I enjoy the adventure.
IMG_5887.JPG

Best advice I can give is keep ALL THE FLUIDS CLEAN! Change oils [engine/transfer/diffs], coolant and brake fluid at regular intervals. Fluid getting contaminated from extended change intervals causes lots of expense. For example.....you can save the intake gaskets on a GM v6 by simply doing coolant flushes every 30k or so. Far cheaper than replacing gaskets. Same with brake fluid which is often over looked, when it absorbs to much moisture it takes out expensive anti-lock modules.

Last edited:
Just shy of 250,000 miles on mine. Still drive it like I stole it. List of things that bit the dust so far:

Starter
Ball joints
Tie rod ends
Sunroof has never worked
Front diff (ARB locker now in place)

A8B42136-CE1F-4207-B781-B76BAAD99424.JPG

Hey thanks for the replies, sounds like there's nothing big to worry about. That high mileage 100 series thread is inspiring!

213k on a 99 LC, no ach and going strong. I do reasonable preventive maintanance and keep after the rust. Also it's my DD, I drive it every chance I get, because I love driving it. I take it off road and it has some damage. I just keep after it and I enjoy the adventure.
View attachment 1412037

love how you made your truck two-tone. what color did you paint your lower doors? I also like your repainted wheels... good looking ride.

Thanks, plasti-dip black........
Off topic, but I'm curious..... How is the plasti-dip holding up? I've been tempted to do the same on portion of my car, including the wheels.

Well, actually great! I have been really impressed with this rubber approach. 1st, I did the wheels and after a year and a half there were zero gaps or pulling away or fading. I put on plenty of coats/thickness and only the rocks that I hit mess it up. The only small down side is it will hold mud on the surface a bit more than a slick paint and takes some extra cleaning. I did the rocker panels because I wanted to hide some off road hits. I went down to metal in those spot and did primer and a similar color duplicate-color, then plasti-dip.

I now have a slee rear bumper and its now an all a black lower half look. If I had not done gone slee rear, I would have trimmed the stock bumper skin level with the frame and rubber coated it also.

Hi there - I have a 2000 LX470 with ~270k miles. So far it's been trouble free aside from a few minor fixes here and there over the years (this forum has been a huge help with those BTW). Just curious for those of you with high mileage 100's... is this even considered high mileage for these trucks? Any advice on what I should be watching out for in the coming years or whether I should be nervous taking it on long trips? I'm assuming I'll have AHC problems at some point, but what about engine trouble? I'd love to start doing some light off-roading (I have zero experience), just not sure if it's smart with this many miles.
I took mine to Baja. Just rolled over to 400k.

ADDE7B9B-3C40-4F75-99B3-AFCE7C33D561.jpeg

8A54C7AC-876F-4A28-85EC-25CB077ECE93.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom