High Mile 98 Land Cruiser in great shape, I would like to start investing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
thecreatestage.com
Hey guys, new to posting to the forum as I am here quite often.

I have a 1998 LC 100. Its in great shape considering it has 198,xxx miles on it. I am about to get some Nitto Terra Grapplers AT the 285/75/16.

Before I go off and purchase a bunch of upgrades I wanted to run some concerns by this community.

Considering this is a Chicago truck there is very minimal rust.

I would like to do the Slee 2.5" lift, mid level suspension upgrade and go from there.

I plan to tow in this truck, travel and tour and have some good times off road. Most of the time this is a daily driver in the city.

I have gotten good praises from Toyota saying "they were surprised at how little the truck needed considering its age and miles" All other mechanics that have seen the truck have been impressed considering.

I know that doesn't really say much but the truck seems to me to be in great shape. I have put about 5,000 miles on it in 6 months.

I am wondering if anyone has started upgrading/modding at this stage in the game, to what end and what to look out for if I am to go down that path. I am very passionate about going down that path, it interupts my sleep lol. I also need to be responsible and don't want to dump a bunch of money into a project that may be short lived.

I have also thought that whatever I invest into this truck could potentially go on my next LC 100. I really don't want to think or invest that way.

Also.. I am wondering, If I get spaces to put the Terra Grapplers 295's would that make a difference in the interim before I do the Slee upgrade?

Any thoughts and comments would be appreciated. I am a LC newbie. I love this forum it has become a great resource.

Thank you!

I think lots of people have started with trucks similar to yours. Most of what you will be doing is because you like doing it, not because it makes great financial sense. Make sure all the PM is done before you put a lot into mods. I hope you are right about the minimal rust, that will add some time and frustration to the work, but it's still doable. Where are you specifically?

Thats somewhat reassuring. By PM you mean Primary Maintenance? And by minimal rust I mean its "not that terrible". Minimal rust considering the environment of x amount of months x years of salt damage. It still looks manageable under there though.

I am in Chicago

Yeah, ok duh. Ive been doing that. Thanks! :)

I've been using some stuff called fluidfilm..I get it from Napa for about 8 bucks a can. Have heard nothing bad, just good stuff about it. It's a rust preventive and up north a lot of garages will spray the undercarriage of vehicles. I did mine with about 1 can about 6 weeks ago. We went north to get outta the heat here camping and put almost 5k on it, then in the past week I've been on the beach driving and the stuff looks like I just applied it..good PM for us beach folks

We got ours at 165k, started building it around 180k, now at about 225k and goING strong.
I trust it, it's been very reliable, I wouldn't hesitate to go 1000 miles tomorrow (if only I had the time to do just that!).

The only down side is resale value really, lots of time and mony invested but not a great asset at this mileage.

I would do it again.

Last edited:
Do you self a favor and just for fun look at the harley resell prices with $30.000/100 kilos in "Chrome Investments"

They may sell the bike faster but I bet they will not get 10%-20% on the dollar back on the Investment.

Land Cruiser maybe little better, specially if you take the parts out and sell them individually (since they are performance/protection, not just looks) but they are far from a monetary
conservatory..

This trucks are Fun, unless you have some crafty accountant to present them as something else. .

This is great! Thanks for all of your comments. This thread is as refreshing to me as it is to cruise the LC! ;)

My 2001 100 has 235k on it. Bought it at 70k. Forget thinking of it as an investment. It's far from it. Do it because you have "disposable" income and just love doing it. My 100 is set up with OME "2.5" wit T-Bars, and UCAs, Metal Tech 4x4 rear links, New bushings all around, White Knuckle sliders, stock wheels with Nitto Terra Grapplers 285s. Drilled/ slotted disc brakes, dual battery, ARB compressor, Drawers (usually loaded) and a Front Runner roof rack. Bumpers are Slee front and rear with a Warn winch. The rear sprig is a Slee spec heavy progressive. If you are going to tow with 285s on it, STRONGLY consider re-gearing. That one jump in tire size dramatically reduces power and gas mileage. If you are going to re-gear, then add lockers... I've driven a LOT of miles with this set up in mountains, desert, beaches and highway and it's a great all around overland truck. I have it set up so I can sleep inside or quickly attach a hammock to the driver side under a Fox Wing awning.

I would do it all again given the reliability and use that it's intended for. My suggestion to you is to keep your truck as is for the time being and drive it, use it, learn it. Then start doing mods according to priority and pockets.

I guess the only change I would make is going with one of Cooper's new tires. The Nittos I have on clog up FAST with wet sand and mud rendering them useless in those environments. Having said that, I've not gotten stuck...yet. I will look at a different AT next time around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom