HID Bulb Housing Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Why would you need a new housing ?

Because the housing was not designed for HIDs, the cutoff and light pattern will not be optimal, and may be dangerous for drivers who approach from the opposite direction on the road.

Hadji 85, I believe the "experts" on the forum, like Cary, would wholeheartedly recommend a new housing or modded housing with projectors, or ???.

I'm going to try this ebay kit that is the Hi/Low H4 variety because you can adjust the bulb placement in and out, which from what I've read is the main issue with hids in a halogen housing(the hid bulb not being in the correct location)

I've installed several HID kits into normal halogen housings. The lights will be brighter than halogen but not as bright as they could be because the housing wasn't designed for an HID. The lights will be annoying to other drivers and most likely on the dangerous side. I actually own a chevy s10 forum and we did a group buy from a company that sells HID kits. I can post some pics if you want to see what the kits look like. I would HIGHLY recommend getting the optional wiring harness if the place you are getting them from offers them.

good point. I was forgetting about the dispersion pattern. My 1st gen gs300 had factory projectors. They have a sharp cutoff and good pattern for not being true hid housings. I plan to do a TSX retrofit anyway.

You could do this on these but I think it would look lame, even though the end result is funtion over fashion.

I found this deal online for HID bulbs for approx $40 Apexcone Raptor HID Kit (35w or 55w): DDM Tuning - HID Kits, DEPO Lights, BMW Lighting & Bumpers

Do I really need a new housing? Has anyone installed the HID bulbs using a regular housing that has a picture or testimony they can share.

Thanks!!

By new housing, do you mean new headlight assys???

There are a few different aftermarket headlight assys (all halogen) both with multi-reflector and projector design. There was someone who's selling the projector versions on e-bay, but what I've heard was that the light output/pattern was not that great.

So what are we, the poor 80 owners, to do???

If you haven't looked up already, you can check out the threads by MikePL and citadel and do it correctly. I know there are a few folks that have said "f-it!" and slapped in the HID ballasts and burners with seemingly little/no ill effect. But it's a gamble, imho.

Good luck!!

I've been doing a little research on ebay and this is what I've found.

There are 2 versions of the Projector Assemblies: (most have a choice of Black or Chrome)

Model 1. Only has 1 HID light (low beam) and 1 Halogen (high beam)

Model 2. Has 2 HID lights 1 for Low beam and 1 for High Beam (usually called X2 Model)

Here are some links: (I have no affiliation)

Model 1 (above)
for 91-97 $220 + Shipping

Model 2 (above)
for 91-97 $275 + Shipping

There are other models ... Just search for "Land Cruiser Projector" on Ebay... Most come in 6000K or 8000K color Temps

I would like the model with 2 HID's but I'm not sure you can flash the high beams quick enough for them to light up...

There are Land Cruiser Projector models with CCFL for the Halos (which are brighter) but are for 08-09 LC's only...

Last edited:
I've been doing a little research on ebay and this is what I've found.

There are 2 versions of the Projector Assemblies: (most have a choice of Black or Chrome)

Model 1. Only has 1 HID light (low beam) and 1 Halogen (high beam)

Model 2. Has 2 HID lights 1 for Low beam and 1 for High Beam (usually called X2 Model)

Here are some links: (I have no affiliation)

Model 1 (above)
for 91-97 $220 + Shipping

Model 2 (above)
for 91-97 $275 + Shipping

There are other models ... Just search for "Land Cruiser Projector" on Ebay... Most come in 6000K or 8000K color Temps

I would like the model with 2 HID's but I'm not sure you can flash the high beams quick enough for them to light up...

There are Land Cruiser Projector models with CCFL for the Halos (which are brighter) but are for 08-09 LC's only...

I would be interested in seeing these. Personally I wouldn't go over 6000K. The higher the number the more blue/purple the light becomes and the less visible. The also don't mention anything about an additional wiring harness which you would want. You really want HIDs pulling power straight from the battery and not via the stock wiring harness.

Like these ? Projectors

They all look ricey to me but thats just my opinion.
I would like to see a clean retrofit

I think these are not HID since the add says they would need Modification for HID Lighting System

EDIT: just searched and found a couple of retrofits. This one from sloppy is the sickest imo https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/323168-another-hid-retrpfit-worth-heck-yeah.html

I like the way you keep the side markers lights with these though, but I would rather have them in Black instead of the chrome.

I've been reading some of these RETRO fits posts but I'm confused... Most of these were Kits that came with Halogen Projectors and were modded to use HID projectors... which incurred on the extra cost of buying the HID lights & ballasts..

The ones I found already came with HID and HID projectors installed (I guess) by the looks of this picture, which would include the lights ballasts.. etc.. making this a much easier project....

I would still prefer to keep the stock looking marker lights.
KAZE_DIGITAL-HIDx2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom