Builds Hi, My name is..……………….(yellow 76 FJ40) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

After all that re-wiring and cleaning was done, I re-parked to make room in the garage for my wife’s car and when I pulled the e-brake….. no light!?! Seat belt light works fine. That’s puzzling, but it will have to wait a few days ‘till I can troubleshoot it.

Brake light is intermittent when pulling the park brake. I suspect the problem is in the switch.

Santa brought me an early gift in the form of a new set of JIS drivers. They’re in a great tray which has got me reorganizing a couple of my tool box drawers.
117285B7-34AD-4557-92F4-31CF086B058A.jpeg

49DF6C42-F26E-410E-BECE-AE52E55FFF2C.jpeg

Then I started stocking a reproduction tool bag that i recently bought off eBay.
55F031AF-B24A-4C08-885C-7177E8D51FF5.jpeg

718F6358-5DB7-4C5C-857F-EEAA50F8A73A.jpeg

And that got me thinking about lug wrenches and lug nuts. I have wheel spacers in the rear and I recently noticed that the PO fastened them on with some 19mm lug nuts and some 21mm lights nuts. The 19mm nuts have the advantage of the shoulder which keeps the socket from touching the wheels and in the narrow lug well of wheel spacers a standard impact socket fits fine, while the 21mm nuts require a thin wall socket to fit. Soooo. I’m probably going to buy a 19mm lug wrench and switch all my nuts to 19mm. That hurts my soul a little bit because it’s not OEM, but it is very practical.

A friend of mine has an ‘82 mini truck with a 22r running a Weber 38/38. He wanted to try a 32/36 so we swapped.
Once I re-jetted it for the larger displacement of the 2F and set it up per Weber’s instructions it wouldn’t run. It would start and rev but not idle. I took some of the advance our of the dizzy and that brought in to good running range. It’s definitely better suited for the 2F than the 32/36. That on had a flat spot if you mashed the throttle. This one pulls okay through that flat spot and then very hard after that. I didt have exactly the right jets on hand so I bet it could be improved on a little bit but I feel that its 95% of what I’d probably could be. On point of interest is that the choke operates backwards from OEM or the 32/36. I had to buy a cheap long choke cable so it could make a big u turn in the engine compartment and be clamped in place pointing to the rear.

No pics. It’s just another Weber carb. I can’t wait to try the OEM carb I rebuilt. The jets for that one deliver middle of next week. 👍👍

Great thread and nice looking rig!
Quick question so you powder coated your chrome wheels white?
And do you have any peeling of some sort?
I’m curious cause I have a set I want to powder coat.
I like the the white wheel look.

Great thread and nice looking rig!
Quick question so you powder coated your chrome wheels white?
And do you have any peeling of some sort?
I’m curious cause I have a set I want to powder coat.
I like the the white wheel look.
Yes. The company who did that work sand blasted the chrome prior to powder coating. The powder coat is a mechanical bond, so there needs to be a little texture on the base material. They blasted the chrome till it is course, which seemed to remove the chrome entirely. You can see them prior to powder in my thread here:

DIY wheel widening - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/diy-wheel-widening.1262819/post-14045116

I’ve had two different venders do powder coating on wheels for me. The first set held up fine. The second set I used someone else and they flaked around the lug nuts. See the thread above for pics. I took the wheels back to the company I used for my first wheels and they did a great job. Holding up well so far.

Yes. The company who did that work sand blasted the chrome prior to powder coating. The powder coat is a mechanical bond, so there needs to be a little texture on the base material. They blasted the chrome till it is course, which seemed to remove the chrome entirely. You can see them prior to powder in my thread here:

DIY wheel widening - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/diy-wheel-widening.1262819/post-14045116
Yeah I just read that thread on widening your wheels. Good job bye the way.
That’s what my powder coater explained to me as well. Well come Monday I am taking my chrome wagon wheels to the powder coater and having them done in white.
Thank you!

Yeah I just read that thread on widening your wheels. Good job bye the way.
That’s what my powder coater explained to me as well. Well come Monday I am taking my chrome wagon wheels to the powder coater and having them done in white.
Thank you!

If your top and bezel are original white, be sure to choose a powder that is off white, or antique white. Bright white will stand out like a sore thumb. Here’s the sample chip I used.

7759AB80-A8CD-418C-8DB2-DEBCB993CBD6.jpeg

If your top and bezel are original white, be sure to choose a powder that is off white, or antique white. Bright white will stand out like a sore thumb. Here’s the sample chip I used.

View attachment 2855040
Yeah good point wouldn’t want three different shades of white.
I may just Powder coat the bezel so that they match.
Thanks for your info.

I drove with the Weber 38/38 I talked a few times and it was fine. Better than the 32/36 but not great. Worse in a few aspects. I don’t like the choke on the 38. It has good mid band power but struggles terribly it i shift early or choose to high a gear coming out of a corner. Can’t seem to dig itself out of the hole. Accelerates faster and pulls harder that the 32/36, but drinks the fuel a lot faster too. The 38 wasn’t perfectly tuned either, but I feel like I got a satisfactory impression of it’s potential.

Look what came in the mail a couple days ago!!! Decisions, decisions.

7EC7D667-ECCD-467C-8BED-52BBE7BFF7AC.jpeg

I settled on the following jet combo:
Primary-147.5 main, 55 slow
Secondary- 220 main, 70 slow

I have a wide assortment of main jet options, but no clue where to get slow jets. If I can find a source, I’ll get a 65 and 75 slow jet to try out.

I bent some fuel lines and finally installed that OEM Carb that PJohnson gifted me. What a difference that made!!!! It’s almost like it was made for it! LoL PO had installed a Weber 32/36 which was reliable and problem free, but anemic. A friend gave me a 38/38 to try a few days ago. It was different. Better. But not great, and very thirsty! I rebuilt this OEM carb, ordered some jets per JimC recommendations in other threads. 77mustard40’s threads were super helpful, along with the FSM. The jets arrived Saturday so the OEM swap was go-time!!!

When I pulled off the Weber adapter stack and tried to install the heat shield riser, I found that there was interference from a brass plug on the intake. I chose to drill a hole in the heat shield, but it made me wonder what that configuration was from the factory. Perhaps mine didn’t have a heat shield? Or perhaps there’s a low profile plug that I missing?

I can’t believe how nicely it runs. More power. Smoother. Starts easier. Just all around better.
88F67716-07F7-4B76-A865-91F6B4645B6E.jpeg

6F6B0456-843A-464C-A812-54E8B96508C8.jpeg

8EFA5C96-1587-48CC-A668-A4A7587F0C88.jpeg

Last edited:
You had a shop mill the intake flange and the header?
No, header was done by the PO and I haven’t had it off. Checked for vacuum leaks when I was tuning the Weber 32/36. Didn’t find any. So I haven’t messed with it. Pretty soon I’m gonna have the engine out to do motor mounts and clutch. I’ll probably have to break that seal then. They’re pretty uniform thickness already tho, so I’m hopeful to not have to visit the machine shop except to surface the ski wheel

That middle intake tab, closest to the water temp sender, suggests a crack in your photo. Suggests, as I'm pretty sure it is my imagination.

Thanks for the heads up. I’ll do some investigating

I settled on the following jet combo:
Primary-147.5 main, 55 slow
Secondary- 220 main, 70 slow

I have a wide assortment of main jet options, but no clue where to get slow jets. If I can find a source, I’ll get a 65 and 75 slow jet to try out.
Some of the Keyster carb kits that Cruiser Outfitters (click here) sells has slow jets. May want to give them a call.

That brass plug is where a lot of guys get manifold vacuum from. I've seen double and triple ported fittings where your brass plug is. Perhaps yours was replaced when the PO decided to go with the weber?

By now you know that I love the before & after pic collages. Here’s the engine pic from the “For Sale” ad from which I purchased her and a pic below of how she sits today.

That York compressor is gone and a power steering pump has taken it’s place. A new Sanden style will join the family soon enough.

Now that I’ve driven the OEM carb for a day, I can assert that the Weber 32/36 was not a good fit for this motor. It was reliable but it was a gutless wonder.

I still need to check timing and try a couple other jet combinations, but even as it sits it’s 3 time better that the Weber. No exaggeration.

Replaced battery, cables, radiator, master cylender, brake booster, headlamps for H4, LEDs everywhere else, sprayed a lot of black semigloss rustoleum and scrubbed a lot of simple green.

The to-do lost grows on the other end even as I whittle down this end. I love this never ending project.

23A194F8-573A-46C9-8C2B-020CAC494743.jpeg

I bent some fuel lines and finally installed that OEM Carb that PJohnson gifted me. What a difference that made!!!! It’s almost like it was made for it! LoL PO had installed a Weber 32/36 which was reliable and problem free, but anemic. A friend gave me a 38/38 to try a few days ago. It was different. Better. But not great, and very thirsty! I rebuilt this OEM carb, ordered some jets per JimC recommendations in other threads. 77mustard40’s threads were super helpful, along with the FSM. The jets arrived Saturday so the OEM swap was go-time!!!

When I pulled off the Weber adapter stack and tried to install the heat shield riser, I found that there was interference from a brass plug on the intake. I chose to drill a hole in the heat shield, but it made me wonder what that configuration was from the factory. Perhaps mine didn’t have a heat shield? Or perhaps there’s a low profile plug that I missing?

I can’t believe how nicely it runs. More power. Smoother. Starts easier. Just all around better.
View attachment 2857956

View attachment 2857957

View attachment 2857958
For future reference, in lieu of modifying the heat shield, you probably could have replaced the brass plug with an allen head plug. When I installed my Sniper, the 'gas filter' item that goes in that intake manifold location wasn't needed. Thus I removed it and installed a plug, see below.

IMG_6312.jpg

IMG_6543.jpg

You think the Aisin carb was an upgrade from the Weber....Oh, for even more performance upgrade, you might want to try a Holly Sniper? :hillbilly:

Your before & after photos are very telling of your attention to detail! Great work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom