HFS Has Arrived: I'm Drooling! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Charlie, put a magnet on them. I've some new steel shims, 2.5* I think, with center pins. I've never been a fan the aluminum shims. They tend to loose shape, which allow the u-bolts to loosen, which can break the center pin, which can send the leafs sliding in different directions. Seen it at Disney, not a fun trail repair.

If you want the steelies let me know before Tuesday (noon-ish), and I'll get 'em the mail. After that I'll be on the road to the Roundup.

I got 'em from Southwest4x4 (on eBay) but he sells them on the web also, at:
http://www.goemerchant1.com/index.c...41037567&Merchant=southwest4x4&ExpandedDepts=

Mike

Craig - I did notice more vibration in the floorboard but am not sure if it was just me being overly sensitive to try to find something wrong or if it was real. I'll drive it more this week to be sure. According to Sor catelog, I will need the 4.0 shims (for shackle 2.5 inches over stock) should be able to get these at local auto/truck place. Gary, I'll take em out of trash - but the wife won't be patient for too long.
cv

Craig - OK, there is increased vibration coming from the driveline,particularly when I decelerate fast (loud grumbling noise).. What are the possible solutions to this problem?
cv

Charlie,
I suspect that the rear diff (pinion) will have to be have to be shimmed upwards a couple of degrees.
CC

OH, you mean similar to front axle? And fat part of shim should point outward toward the rear shackle? Am I thinking that through right?
cv

Charlie,
I think the fat part will have to go to the front. I think the momentum from the rear tires is rotating the housing when you brake hard. Moving the pinion and the rear of the driveshaft closer to the ground, which increases the misalignment. Then when you let off the brakes it rotates back up within acceptable limits. You would think it would go in the rear because of the longer shackle, but I think that would make it worse.
CC

Just a check. Make sure your driveshafts are properly phased, where the yokes are aligned both ends. You can get vibration where they are out of phase. Ujoints gone bad are another possibility.

Caster being off shouldn't cause the vibration, but it will cause the wander. I got my steel 4 degree shims from Danny Warden, but he since left the industry.

Good luck.

From my experience the lift will magnify any other drive line issues may have. I have learned to live with the vibrations in mine.

I'm surprised you are having steering issues. If the springs are made properly, they should maintain the front axle geometry.

I have purchased shims from Roger in the past as well - excellent products.

I believe I have the spring mount you are looking for - cut it off the '73 frame I chopped up recently . Coming down this weekend?

Hi Chris,
The steering issue was due to the longer than stock shackles I got along with the kit (2.5" longer than stock). I went ahead and installed my alum. shims as a temporary fix (no I didn't cut off the ubolts yet). steering is now perfect. Looks like I won't be able to make the wrenching weekend. This is our annual "Pet Telethon" 6pm-9pm on channel 38 "The Spot" this Sunday, and there will be rehearsals on Saturday. This was to be held last weekend, but we changed it last month to avoid competition with the Oscars. But I hope there is a map somewhere on this board just in case I can arrange to come down if possible. Due to my photogenic profile, my "on air" time will be limited.
cv

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom