help with scion head unit in LX450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I went out and purchased a SCION head unit to replace the stock unit, however, I'm having some trouble identifying what I need to do with it.

1) I took my stock unit and compared the back with the SCION unit, it was different; and when I look at the stock cable/wiring, I don't think any of the cable actually fit. the size is completely off.

2) After the first roadblock, I went ahead and look at what I have on the factory amplifier. I found 3 cables (2 gray and 1 white) and disconnect all three, and then found the two gray cables actually fits the SCION unit, however, it will power up but no sound. :frown:

3) I have a nakamichi 400 with me and all the cable is set, however, I'm not sure which cable I should disconnect to avoid using the factory amplifier. I have try plug/unplug different cable without any luck.

4) then I found out that my antenna was maybe rewired. the up and down button doesn't work. when I turn the ignition to on, it goes up, when off, it goes down. and I thought it was a feature, no I have doubt that someone rework the wiring for the antenna before.

Anyway, the way I finally got the SCION to work (somewhat) is put the white cable back to the amplifier and plug the bigger gray cable (previously connected to the amplifier) directly to the SCION unit and that work, but then, the cable is so short that I don't think I can pull it over to where the stock unit is located.

Am I missing something big here? need help seriously. :crybaby:

Nicky,

The LCs have 9-speakers stereo systems whereas the LXs have 7-speakers ones. So the wiring differences do not surprise me. If the Scion HU is fully functional then why not cutting and extending all the wires using correct gauge?

Rod,

The factory amp on the LX is behind the USPS indash tweeter. It's easily accessed once the glove box is removed (which also takes seconds to do).

Just give it to me and call it a day, dude!!! Ah HAAAA HAAA:D Good luck installing =)

ranma21 said:
Just give it to me and call it a day, dude!!! Ah HAAAA HAAA:D Good luck installing =)

Dude,

Do you want to trade your $1000+ stereo system with my $50 scion system, otherwise, I can always trade this stereo with your new roof rack. You know what, I'll even include my yakima mega warrior, how's that? :grinpimp:

By the way, are you still going drive to CA?

sjcruiser said:
Nicky,

The LCs have 9-speakers stereo systems whereas the LXs have 7-speakers ones. So the wiring differences do not surprise me. If the Scion HU is fully functional then why not cutting and extending all the wires using correct gauge?

sjcruiser,

I wish it could be done that easily. Just FYI, when it comes to wiring, I'm definitely a :banana: I'll take some pics tonite so that everyone else can reference it. :frown:

The pic on the left is where the amp is located (removing the tweeter cover and that's the amp with the 3 wiring connected), and also, that's how far I can pull and extend the wiring towards me. As you can see, it will plug right into the SCION unit, however, the only way to get it to work is the insert only the bigger grey wiring to the SCION unit, and the white wiring back to the amp. Inserting the smaller grey wiring into the unit result in "no sound".

The second pic on the right is basically the stock unit with its stock wiring, the problem is that none of the two cable can plug into the scion unit directly.

So that is where I got stuck and turn to you guys for help. Any advice for this rookie?
connection.jpg
stock.jpg

Last edited:
NickyDeNick said:
The second pic on the right is basically the stock unit with its stock wiring, the problem is that none of the two cable can plug into the scion unit directly.

You'll have to fish around in the dash behind the old radio
for the unused plugs that will connect perfectly to the Scion unit.

As TB Cruzer said, you DISCONNECT the existing amp....forever.

I had the same problem with the install of my Scion unit.

The install is pretty simple, just takes a few steps

First like everybody has said disconnect the factory amp

Second connect the white plug(IT WILL FIT) to teh back of the Scion. The plug will fit you just have to guide it in, I had a hard time guiding the plug in at first but after a minute of trying it went in.

Also you might have to trim some the the units side plastic in order to make it fit flushed to the dashboard.

Biff said:
I had the same problem with the install of my Scion unit.

The install is pretty simple, just takes a few steps

First like everybody has said disconnect the factory amp

Second connect the white plug(IT WILL FIT) to teh back of the Scion. The plug will fit you just have to guide it in, I had a hard time guiding the plug in at first but after a minute of trying it went in.

Also you might have to trim some the the units side plastic in order to make it fit flushed to the dashboard.
I don't believe the LX has the same harness/connector as the LC, the 2 different amp bypass harnesses I tried, that were supposed to work on a LC, did not work on the LX...

TB Cruzer said:
The amp is located behind the glove compartment, to the right. You will need to disconnet it for the radio to work properly.

I did, you can see it on the left I have posted... :)

DaveyBoy said:
You'll have to fish around in the dash behind the old radio
for the unused plugs that will connect perfectly to the Scion unit.

Will try to fish some more but chances are slim... :frown:

Biff said:
...The plug will fit you just have to guide it in...

The white plug (from the stock head unit) was completely different in terms of pattern and size; the only plug that fits is the one which I have disconnected from the amp. (see pic on the left).

firetruck41 said:
I don't believe the LX has the same harness/connector as the LC, the 2 different amp bypass harnesses I tried, that were supposed to work on a LC, did not work on the LX...

I concurred, my original plan to have an OEM looking stereo that plays mp3 is gone. Looks like I'll be positing this scion unit on the "for sales" section soon. :frown:

Any luck bud? I also have a 96 450 and was about to purchase a scion headunit when I ran across this thread, please od keep us posted! thanks

Nick,

Dont you think that if you could plug in both grey connectors from the amp to the Scion unit it would work? All you need is an extension to get those two plugs back behind the radio. What else am I missing?

The only thing those two grey connectors don't have is power (12v) either swithed or battery. So those wires would have to be run to power new sources. The only other thing might be to "splice" of a channel to feed signal to the sub-woofer. that would take a bit of work on the plug as the Metra or Scooch (spelling) do not have that pin wired. But that's getting a bit fancy. So basically you treat the Scion unit as if it were an aftermarket head unit rather than a plug-in.

The only other option I haven't explored would be finding a Scion amp and seeing if that plugs in, but my guess is that that is barking up the wrong tree.

Let me know, I'm currently in the same boat. LX dash is complete torn apart 'til I figure this out.

Rod
'96 LX 450 currently awaiting a double-DIN stereo

Last edited:
Is the consensus that the LX 450 is not plug and play with the Scion headunit?

It would unfortunately seem so, unless somebody has been succesful and not shared with us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom