Help with fan belts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kentex Rick

SILVER Star
Threads
I am having issues installing new belts; they seem to be an inch short!:bang: I don't know if the alternator was replaced by PO with the wrong one or what. I have completely removed the tensioner hold down bolt, but the alternator won't go over far enough for me to get the new belts on. Does anyone have any idea on what is going on here?

IMG_20170513_115354239_HDR.jpg

Did you loosen the lock bolt?

The lock bolt, trying to get some extra room, But the alternator hits the motor before I have enough room to get the belt on?

If the tensioner bolt is removed completely and the lock bolt is loose there should definitely be enough room provided the belts are routed correctly. This thread may be of use Changing your belts in 25 minutes

Yep, mine were routed wrong. Thanks guys, found this pic in the thread @ewillis pointed out, back to the driveway.

Good job guys!

Incorrect 'routing' is easy to do on these things. We get used to looking at vehicles with 'serpentine' belts (not the V belts on our 80's) and then try to apply that convoluted tensioner routing to our much simpler systems.

The only other possibility (assuming correct belts and brackets) is an over-sized pulley on one or more parts.

Flint.

Wrong routing probably. Mine were routed wrong and I spent an hour trying to get them on. They go on the outside of the idler.

Good job guys!

Incorrect 'routing' is easy to do on these things. We get used to looking at vehicles with 'serpentine' belts (not the V belts on our 80's) and then try to apply that convoluted tensioner routing to our much simpler systems.

The only other possibility (assuming correct belts and brackets) is an over-sized pulley on one or more parts.

Flint.
Yep, totally my fault!:doh:I have toasted two sets of belts since my head gasket. I was putting them on wrong, not even looking closely at the FSM as I had throughout the whole process. Thanks @Bubba01 for the advice, although I had just figured it out for myself, after seeing that pic. that @ewillis helped out with. Total brain fart, as @flintknapper pointed out, I just assumed they went over the idler pulley. My old belts looked good so I reused them; they must have been stretched to the limit. they only made it 400 miles. then I spent an hour and a half in the NAPA parking lot in BFE, trying different belts, because the ones they showed to be correct wouldn't fit!:bang: I hope this helps someone else. Thanks to IH8MUD, I couldn't do it without ya!:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

Last edited:
Well, I'm guilty.

i had to replace the alternator bearing, i'm wondering now, i have a less than 2mm movement in the water pump/fan pulley, you guys think this worth replacement, i been looking for changing the bearing but all i found is the complete water pump...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom