Help - Wiring/Connectors under the dash (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HDJdreams

SILVER Star
Threads
Have a new to me 200, trying to tidy up wiring and install brake controller.

First off, what gauge wire is used for the switches? It looks smaller than 22 to me, but I am not sure.

Second, if I wanted to get new terminal pins what is the connector style? How do I identify the proper style pins to order? Some wires are broken at the pin and I wanted to replace rather than pry apart and try to recrimp. I figure they are cheap if I can find them.

I also want to use OEM trailer brake connector with Redarc controller pigtail.

BC7F890E-C857-4F67-A730-5E0F7325A58C.jpeg

23A6908B-400D-4EB7-93AA-089B0AFCEF7A.jpeg

A12CC3B1-6CAA-4868-A29F-80A0FE0BAD50.jpeg

Bump

You can get a pigtail to adapt the factory brake controller connector from Amazon if you don't have the factory one anymore (I think you're supposed to get one with the factory cargo net or something). Just snip the proprietary Curt connector off and hard wire to the Redarc plug.

I think the wiring is 20 AWG or 22 AWG, but as long as you use something the same size or bigger you should be fine.

This is really the only aftermarket source for factory Toyota/Sumitomo pins/plugs I know of...

This is really the only aftermarket source for factory Toyota/Sumitomo pins/plugs I know of...

Thanks for the link to Ballenger Motorsports! I have contacted them and they pointed out a couple things to check before ordering. I’ll update the thread with the results.

You can get a pigtail to adapt the factory brake controller connector from Amazon if you don't have the factory one anymore (I think you're supposed to get one with the factory cargo net or something). Just snip the proprietary Curt connector off and hard wire to the Redarc plug.

I have both the factory and the aftermarket pigtails that plug into the factory brake harness plugs. When I looked at installing the Redarc, the harness that plugs into it is long enough to reach the factory plug in location. Rather than cutting down one of the pigtails and using butt connectors, I wanted to put terminal pins directly on the Redarc harness and repin the connector that goes into factory harness.

Rather than mangle the terminal pins already installed on wires from the pigtail, I wanted to source new ones. It’s not a big deal for this install, but I see it as a baby step in improving my wiring skills. I would someday like to be able to wire OEM quality or better and be able to tackle projects like and LS swap into an 80 or even just repair broken/shattered connectors on my TLCs.

Hey - I'm ready to install my Redarc trailer brake controller. Before I connect, solder, and heat-shrink my wires together, can you please give me a sanity check so I won't have to redo this part? Here's what I think connects together (Redarc connector wires to Toyota connector wires):

Toyota (Vehicle Stop Lamps) Green/Yellow <---> Redarc (Brake Lights) Red
Toyota (Trailer Electric Brake Feed) Yellow <---> Redarc (Brake Output) Blue
Toyota (Trailer Ground) White/Black <---> Redarc (Ground) White
Toyota (Battery Feed) Black <---> Redarc (Input Power) Black
Toyota (Headlamp Switch) Green <---> X (not used)

Look good?

Yes

FE58670A-4DBA-4005-8B20-D7711A405855.jpeg

(I ordered a plug with Redarc then found the Toyota one)

@cru1s3r Where did you mount the controller knob? Photos?

As of 5 minutes ago, the knob is mounted in an extra switch blank that I ordered from my dealer. I had to Dremel out the back, so the body of the switch would sit flush - but that part will be hidden. I plan on removing the upper leftmost switch blank on the left side of the steering wheel, then inserting the new dial switch and blank in the hole - tomorrow. After dinner, I’m off to see if I remember how to use a soldering iron, heat gun, etc. so I’ll have a reliable connection.

I am waiting on switch blanks, had to order. Mine were all missing.

@cru1s3r Where did you mount the controller knob? Photos?
Since you asked, here's what I have right now:

Here's the controller I installed in the switch blank. I eyeballed it, so it's not *perfect*, but it's good enough.

The wires are all connected per the question above, soldered, and covered with heat-shrink tubing. Of course, it just occurred to me that I should have shortened the wires a bit...

Install tomorrow...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom