HELP. Stereo install problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do you guys have me on your ignore list??? The harness is available at Best Buy, Crutchfield, Circut city and a host of other electronics stores. It is a universal harness that says for Toyota trucks and it fits the Cruiser as well. It is a two part harness for the small grey plug and a larger plug and it hooks up to the TWO GREY plugs that went into the amp, which are all of the speaker wires except the rear sub. If you use the spare GREY plugs behind the stereo you are then using the stock amp. This will not give you as good a sound as without the amp as you are using the inferior amp as well as the amp in your new head unit. If you need the harness, go to Best buy and get it from the instal guys and ask for an explanation on its use. They make it very clear. Don't get it from the sales guys, they know s***. Now take me off your frickin ignore list.

So doing this setup, will it still use the stock sub woofer in an LX450?

Do you guys have me on your ignore list??? The harness is available at Best Buy, Crutchfield, Circut city and a host of other electronics stores. It is a universal harness that says for Toyota trucks and it fits the Cruiser as well. It is a two part harness for the small grey plug and a larger plug and it hooks up to the TWO GREY plugs that went into the amp, which are all of the speaker wires except the rear sub. If you use the spare GREY plugs behind the stereo you are then using the stock amp. This will not give you as good a sound as without the amp as you are using the inferior amp as well as the amp in your new head unit. If you need the harness, go to Best buy and get it from the instal guys and ask for an explanation on its use. They make it very clear. Don't get it from the sales guys, they know s***. Now take me off your frickin ignore list.

My truck is different than yours. For me the metra part number 70-1761 works at the 2 plugs behind the radio. They are not used with the factory deck which uses the amplifier. My amplifier did not have connectors that would have plugged into the metra harness. Although I've come accross many toyotas that do. No matter where you hook it up, if you use metra part 70-1761 you are not using the factory amp. In my truck it does not power up the factory sub. Or maybe mine just doesn't work. But my guess is it would not power it up in the LX.

Differences between the 93-94 and the 95-97, I guess. I assumed the grey connectors behind the head unit went to the speaker outs in the amp. The harness I got will not send signal to the factory sub. Just out of curiosity, did you unplug the grey plugs at the amp and try to plug your harness into those plugs? (Beating a dead horse)

Last edited:
This and others are good discussions, lots of radio install questions on these pages. I created a new FAQ topic sticky thread to post solutions for different applications.

Appreciate those experiencedwith installs help with populating it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom