Help removing brake lines (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Was hoping you guys might have some input. I’ve tried to remove the brake lines on my rig and they are all seemingly frozen. Any connection I try to loosen up doesn’t budge and starts to round the connector if you put any pressure on it. Anyone else run into this problem? If so, what was your fix. Thank you

Use a "flare nut wrench" rather than a standard open end wrench. They are specifically designed for that type fitting.

They have a lot more contact with the hex fitting to spread the torque load - so less tendency to round it off or to slip.

Last edited:
I agree with using a flare nut wrench, AND as a last resort, vise grips. If you have an oxy-acetylene torch a little appropriately applied heat will also help free up the nut.

are you wanting to save the lines? or just removing them for replacement?
if replacing, you can cut the line close to the nut and use a 6 point socket and remove it.

This works every time. Use a vise grip to keep the flare nut from stripping the hex on the fitting. Turn both the wrench and the vise grip, at once, to achieve maximum torque. I didn't strip a single nut on the whole truck.

Flare Nut 2.JPG

Flare Nut1.JPG

And if that fails the vice grip will work by itself. Get the vice grip as tight as possible and hit with a hammer

Good question...should I be trying to save these? Or is it better to just replace?? I’ve been of the mindset to try and save everything if possible but not opposed to new if it makes more sense.

Depends what shape they are in. If they are rusted and compromised then you should replace them. They are your only way of stopping so make sure they are in good working order.
They’re in decent shape but might not be after I pull them off to paint frame...

If you are having that much trouble, I would replace them. Not that expensive and with a freshly painted frame you sure don"t want any brake fluid leaking on the new paint.
The recommended flare wrenches are worth their weight in gold!

If you guys get these lines apart are you using the connectors/junctions (not sure their names) and just run new lines?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom