Help me work out a Birf mystery? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IMG_1476.JPG
Hi All

Long story short, have a 1980 hj45 and a 60 series that I pulled down. I never marked anything as from what I'd read they were different. It appears my diff already has the clearancing done and I cant work out which came from which car, the only difference I can see is one inner is shorter.

Assuming that the short one is the 45, do I just swap the short inner to the one on the right and I am good to go?

Are the marks on the ones on the right just from factory heat treat?

The long one on the left pair is cracked and about to self destruct

Cheers

IMG_1477.JPG

Im sure some1 knows better than i do but i seem to remember using a combination of mini truck and 40 series shafts in my 60 front axle. I thought the 40 and 60 short sides were the same and 60/mini truck long side were the same. Maybe the 45s were different? I think you want the longer long side and either of the shorts. You can swap inner shafts and bells also. Its a pain but it can be done.

The longer inner is the 60 axle. It will not fit in a 45 housing. Correction: it will go in, but the birf won't seat in the knuckle ball.

The longer inner is the 60 axle. It will not fit in a 45 housing. Correction: it will go in, but the birf won't seat in the knuckle ball.

So I take the inner from the cracked birf (2nd from left) and fit it to the 3rd from left and I'm done?

no grinding required!

You should need a new inner axle snap ring that will most likely self destruct when separating the inner from the birf. About a buck from vendors or toyota.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom