Help in putting a 4-Speed trans in a 3 Speed frame (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Alex Waddell

SILVER Star
Threads
I am trying to stab my 4 speed transmission in my 1968 FJ40 (manufactured fall of 67') and the frame cross member seems to be too close.
I have been advised to do one of the following.
1. Pull the engine forward and install the transmission. Then install them both together.
2. Notch the cross member
3. Remove the cross member altogether.
Does anyone have experience with putting a 4-Speed in a 3-Speed frame and would like to give me some advice?
Thanks in advance.

Congratulations!!! I did feel your pain.
Thanks!
I have stabbed several transmissions and a few that I needed several beers to get in but this one was particularly difficult.
I did it by myself without any beer and only had ratchet straps and alignment pins to help me. But it's now done.

Good job. Living in the Past got it right. My first 40 had a cut torque tube but I still had to drop the back of the engine to pull the E brake. I put an H55 in an early model and permanently dropped the back of the engine below the torque tube.

I have a 4 speed swap to do some day soon.

Installed a H42 into my 9/67 68 model back in 1994. I did not cut the crossmember or pull the engine. Used an old school transmission jack. Loosened the front the rubber isolators on the front motor mounts. Put a floor jack under the back of the oil pan. Then removed the rear motor mounts from the bellhousing. I then lowered the back of the engine. I was then able to instslled the transmission and transfer case to the bellhousing. Probably have to loosen the fan shroud. I did use a 74-78 transmission tunnel cover. Trimmed the back and had to rework the passenger side. But was able to use the four speed boots. Which lined up perfect.
I have been reading up on skid plates and you seem to have experience with options for a 68'. I have the skid plate for my 68' and I read that you said that it could be used with a 4 speed. Are there modifications required or are there better options?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom