Help diagnosing antenna problem. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My stock antenna worked fine at first then the dash buttons would cut out now and then until they quit totally.
But the antenna worked on HU powerup (aftermarket). Now the antenna quit working except for very occasionally.
Is this likely a bad motor (seems strong when it does work), or maybe dirty.contacts in the cabling? Something else?

Mine has done that for ever (pretty much since I bought it 10 years ago) To check the motor you can power it up directly supplying 12volts to the connector - mines checked fine (full up and down)

I thought it could be the relay box, and I bought a used one in eBay and nothing improved.

Next is to check the switch.... I was thinking to jumper the contacts and see if it makes a difference

upload_2017-8-13_10-10-43.png

Is the power wire integral to the antenna cable or seperate?
I put the HU in but cant remember.

When I first got my cruiser I had antenna issues. I wound up having to replace it entirely. I got a replacement and it worked fine until the day when you forget to put it down and it snags on something and breaks the mast. I removed the entire thing and replaced it with one of those short stubby black flexible antennas you can find at auto zone. Best decision ever! It works way better and I don't ever need to think about breaking it anymore and I have another location in the cab for a switch.

@ZeGerman
Wondering about the process for replacing stock antenna with the short stubby. Did you have to pull the fender?

Thanks!

When I first got my cruiser I had antenna issues. I wound up having to replace it entirely. I got a replacement and it worked fine until the day when you forget to put it down and it snags on something and breaks the mast. I removed the entire thing and replaced it with one of those short stubby black flexible antennas you can find at auto zone. Best decision ever! It works way better and I don't ever need to think about breaking it anymore and I have another location in the cab for a switch.

I did not pull the fender to do that. It was an incredible pain in the ass and the cruiser will draw blood. There is a small opening on the engine bay side. Combine that with the opening from the corner markers and you have enough space to do everything.

Great.... My Cruiser seems to like blood. Almost as much as it likes my money! ;)

It was an incredible pain in the ass and the cruiser will draw blood.

Yeah I thought about the stubby option right away. That or a multi use FM/CB/HF.

But then I think I really do need AM too.

So is there are stubby write-up?

I've used the stubbie n ripped them off to. What about the connection of antennae to the stereo that's a pain on many 80s it's the drive gear that cracks and splits esp. in winter. Can I get that gear?

I had a Power Antenna for the longest time and just thought the radio was the reception problem. I installed a new Pioneer Double DIN and still had crappy reception. I ended up replacing the power antenna with a off the shelf GM replacement from AUTO... Best thing I ever did, now I get awesome reception and dont have to worry about the antenna going up or down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom