Help assessing '00 Land Cruiser w/ 216k miles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
Okay friends. I just sold my awesome rust-free '97 4Runner and am in the market for a 100 series for my family (wife, 3 young kids). I live in Chicago and am pursuing leads out west. I'll be out of state on this one, so I'd love some help/insight on how to avoid wasting time. Found a 2000 Land Cruiser in Riverock Green Mica. 216k+ miles, 2nd owner, "meticulously maintained" mechanically. I chatted with the owner on the phone, sounds like an honest guy who knows and loves his hundy.
  • Tranny was already replaced, good to go there
  • New brakes/rotors, battery, alternator
  • There is a small but serious rust spot on the front left fender. Will require a new fender/paint job which might run me around $1200 (gotta fix rust if it's gonna live in Chi-town!).
  • Front seat seams are coming apart. Replacements from Land Cruiser Heaven will be $700 ish.
  • Rig has a OME 2.5" heavy load lift from Slee on it (not incl. UCAs)
  • Rig has an ARB rear bumper from Slee on it (not incl. tire or jerry can carrier)
  • Two sets of tires included: (4) Michelin LT265/75/R16, (4) 275/70/R16 Blizzaks, all in good shape
Asking price is just under $10k. Given the fender issue, I was thinking of a starting offer of $8k. Is that reasonable? In your opinion what would be a satisfactory deal on this vehicle?

Thank you for helping me think this one through. Cheers!

Here's the rusted fender
c1JBE0Jl.jpg

No this is fine. not much activity during the day with people at work. Given the fender I would be more in the 6500-8000 range. the OME lift kit is $800 so not really worth a premium in terms of purchase price.

How is the underside? Depending on the amount of rust, it might not pass inspection.

How is the underside? Depending on the amount of rust, it might not pass inspection.

You're right. I haven't seen photos of the undercarriage (yet) but the rig is in Colorado and the owner says it's clean. So I'm operating on the assumption (until proven wrong) that rust is not an issue underneath.

You're right. I haven't seen photos of the undercarriage (yet) but the rig is in Colorado and the owner says it's clean. So I'm operating on the assumption (until proven wrong) that rust is not an issue underneath.
make sure you get a pre purchased inspection. Made that mistake when getting my 100. Now it needs a new frame...

If your looking at coming to Colorado for a Land Cruiser, this one would be of more interest to me. 30K more miles but 3 years newer and $3000 cheaper (no affiliation).

2003 Toyota Land Cruiser

2003.jpg

With any of the Land Cruisers / LX470's in Colorado, the first thing to do would be to run a carfax on them before you pay for an inspection. Colorado has a huge influx of new residents :frown: and the rigs may have spent most of their lives out of state.

Last edited:
With any of the Land Cruisers / LX470's in Colorado, the first thing to do would be to run a carfax on them before you pay for an inspection. Colorado has a huge influx of new residents :frown: and the rigs may have spent most of their lives out of state.

Great advice, thank you. With every vehicle, I start with CarFax and undercarriage photos, then take it from there. You're right, I've found several CO rigs that spent their lives in the East. No thanks!

I have a good buddy in Co Springs who is a Toyota/Lexus enthusiast and forum member—he checked this one out for me in person. Needs too much body work for my effort. I'm in Chicago. No bueno for rust.

The search continues...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom