Help! anyone have a rear axle near Green River UT? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Burned up a bearing driving from SoCal to Canyonlands NP. I was lucky to find someone in Green River to take a look. Initial diagnosis was a bad bearing and seal (throwing oil). When he opened it up, he found that the axle is trashed. Anyone got an extra nearby or know of anyone? Please PM me!

I don’t have an axle - but you need to be more specific.

Left or Right axle (they’re different lengths)

Burned up a bearing driving from SoCal to Canyonlands NP. I was lucky to find someone in Green River to take a look. Initial diagnosis was a bad bearing and seal (throwing oil). When he opened it up, he found that the axle is trashed. Anyone got an extra nearby or know of anyone? Please PM me!
It looks like SOR.com has both a left & right used rear axle for a 62.

We (Cruiser Outfitters) have axle shafts, axle bearings, wheel seals, housing parts, complete axle assemblies, etc in SLC and can be available all weekend!! I've got shafts and parts at home (Sandy) and could easily meet you at the shop today/tomorrow (Murray).

To be clear, do you need an axle as in axle shaft OR axle as in axle assembly? What is damaged?

I don't know that I can personally make a bomb run down there (I love doing that whenever I can) as I've got a plate full of Cruise Moab prep. I could hand deliver Tuesday afternoon but I guarantee we can have it there sooner via Mudship, FB friends and the same day courier we regularly use for SLC to Moab deliveries.

Are you the only vehicle in your group?

A lot of folks will be traveling over from Denver this week for Cruise Moab, if you haven't solved it by Monday we can probably find someone who would have one to you by Tuesday or Wednesday (I'll be coming over Wednesday).

We (Cruiser Outfitters) have axle shafts, axle bearings, wheel seals, housing parts, complete axle assemblies, etc in SLC and can be available all weekend!! I've got shafts and parts at home (Sandy) and could easily meet you at the shop today/tomorrow (Murray).

To be clear, do you need an axle as in axle shaft OR axle as in axle assembly? What is damaged?

I don't know that I can personally make a bomb run down there (I love doing that whenever I can) as I've got a plate full of Cruise Moab prep. I could hand deliver Tuesday afternoon but I guarantee we can have it there sooner via Mudship, FB friends and the same day courier we regularly use for SLC to Moab deliveries.

Are you the only vehicle in your group?
Awesome Kurt! The two other members of the party have resumed the trip in Canyonlands. I’m renting a jeep tomorrow in Moab, so I’m available to pick it up. I need the left (driver’s) axle shaft. I’ll PM you

I just finished packing up a Green River repair kit. I will snag the axle shaft at the shop at my house this evening.

20220423_171456.jpg

Parts en route. Of all the luck I had a dozen or more 4x LH semi-float shafts pulled. All my LH 6x shafts were in full axle assemblies. And of course they were all on the bottom of the pile. :D

20220423_214431.jpg

Now to re-stack them and get back to this. Needs fluids before Cruise Moab.

20220423_214519.jpg

Parts en route. Of all the luck I had a dozen or more 4x LH semi-float shafts pulled. All my LH 6x shafts were in full axle assemblies. And of course they were all on the bottom of the pile. :D

View attachment 2990356

Now to re-stack them and get back to this. Needs fluids before Cruise Moab.

View attachment 2990357

Looks like you take much better care of your rig than I do. Hindsight is 20-20, but I think it was unreasonable for me to expect wheel bearings to last 300k miles. I’ve had such good luck over the years that I became a little complacent. I’ve got a few other preventative things to do when I get home so I don’t find myself in this situation again!

@cruiseroutfit Thanks so much for everything Kurt!! And please give my regards to Ansel and his buddy for delivering the axle at 1 am! You are amazing to drop everything to help out a fellow Cruiser enthusiast. I was also fortunate that Bo at Interstate Automotive in Green River was willing to come in on Sunday to install the axle, bearings and seals. Marta and I were on the road by 1 pm, we did a little shakedown trip in the San Rafael Reef to the Wedge Overlook and headed to Canyonlands the next day, and stayed at Happy Canyon. We met up with our friends on the way to the Maze Overlook and had two great nights there. So you basically salvaged our trip. Without you, I would have been stuck at a Motel Six for who knows how long, and there isn’t a heck of a lot to do in Green River…

So thanks again Kurt, and I hope I have the opportunity to pay forward your incredible kindness!

-John

D81EBC7E-D29E-4A05-A5E0-8BF68536D1FD.jpeg
D81EBC7E-D29E-4A05-A5E0-8BF68536D1FD.jpeg

@cruiseroutfit Thanks so much for everything Kurt!! And please give my regards to Ansel and his buddy for delivering the axle at 1 am! You are amazing to drop everything to help out a fellow Cruiser enthusiast. I was also fortunate that Bo at Interstate Automotive in Green River was willing to come in on Sunday to install the axle, bearings and seals. Marta and I were on the road by 1 pm, we did a little shakedown trip in the San Rafael Reef to the Wedge Overlook and headed to Canyonlands the next day, and stayed at Happy Canyon. We met up with our friends on the way to the Maze Overlook and had two great nights there. So you basically salvaged our trip. Without you, I would have been stuck at a Motel Six for who knows how long, and there isn’t a heck of a lot to do in Green River…

So thanks again Kurt, and I hope I have the opportunity to pay forward your incredible kindness!

-John

View attachment 2996022View attachment 2996022

Happy to help! :cool:

I'm back in the shop tomorrow, let's catch up on the parts when you're free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom