Heavy Duty Flywheel Inspection Cover?

Stumpalama

Forum Junkie
SILVER Star

My recent wheeling adventure exposed a potential weak point in my 1981 FJ40 underbody.
I got myself hungup HARD on a rock right up on my inspection cover and my oil pan. I dented the oil pan and crushed the inspection cover so bad I was throwing sparks and had to peal the cover open to clear the flywheel.

There isn't much space in the area to mount a skid plate that wouldn't interfere with the front DS. So, has anyone seen or built a heavy duty (think ruffstuff style diff cover) inspection cover for their rig?

GLTHFJ60

Rum Runnin'
SILVER Star

Kind of a narrow spot to hit. Why not a transmission/oil pan skid, that connects from the transfer case skid, and has other mounts up by the engine mounts on the frame.

Stumpalama

Forum Junkie
SILVER Star

Kind of a narrow spot to hit. Why not a transmission/oil pan skid, that connects from the transfer case skid, and has other mounts up by the engine mounts on the frame.
Yeah, I have a transmission crossmember under my 40, just like the FJ60/62. I've considered fabbing a new transmission mount that would double as a skidplate, but I thought that might be overkill.
The critical piece would be finding a suitable transmission mount (the rubber part) that would allow for a custom crossmember.

Last edited:

Stumpalama

Forum Junkie
SILVER Star

Stumpalama

Forum Junkie
SILVER Star

Certainly doable. Just not sure when .I rebent one of @TRFCSUX skid plates yesterday to make it line up.
Meh, we can work out a time in the future... I haven't even come up with the design yet... But, it might be pretty f-ing cool!

TRFCSUX

Wasn't me

Marlin sells a nice heavy duty mount for this. I was going to use on the 62 but it was not in stock , shocker I know. Ryan can press , bend,shape ,crush anything you could need. Just can’t be any longer than he is tall.

Stumpalama

Forum Junkie
SILVER Star

Marlin sells a nice heavy duty mount for this. I was going to use on the 62 but it was not in stock , shocker I know. Ryan can press , bend,shape ,crush anything you could need. Just can’t be any longer than he is tall.
LOL!

Top Bottom