Heavy Duty Flasher upgrade (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thanks Nakman, I think that's about my only option now; to just upgrade the flasher and change all the bulbs.

In my post, I stated that the fuse has never blown... flasher just buzz's

I don't see a need for blinkers in the bumpers anyway so I am going to set it back to stock with new bulbs all around. Hell, I think im going to modify the Kaymar and weld plates in place of those lights anyway and form the sides to look better.

any idea how much the HD flasher costs? THe stock one from the dealer is over $50

can someone PLEASE tell me where the "converter" is that some of you mentioned in earlier posts?

I swapped in the EP34 with the jumper from the oem flasher ....no change, just bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!(when I try to turn on a turn signal)

This flasher works fine for the Hazards ...all 4 corners blink, the same flasher just doesn't work for turn signals. WTF!?:bang::confused:

can someone PLEASE tell me where the "converter" is that some of you mentioned in earlier posts?

I swapped in the EP34 with the jumper from the oem flasher ....no change, just bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!(when I try to turn on a turn signal)

This flasher works fine for the Hazards ...all 4 corners blink, the same flasher just doesn't work for turn signals. WTF!?:bang::confused:

If you have access to a multi-meter, check the current passing through the flasher when powered. Also check resistance to ground when off. Current should be half the value as compared to the 4-way flasher. To me it sounds like you have a dead short somewhere. Because the flasher is making/breaking the circuit at a high rate of speed there is not enough current continuously passing to blow the fuse. It could be a bad bulb, bad socket or bad wiring.

thanks PPC, that makes more sense than anything so far. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

I just changed all 4 bulbs and of course, no change in scenario.

I supplied an alternate 12v source to the fuse and same result so I think I can rule out the switch on the column. I know the bulbs are good and the flasher itself is good.

I think maybe your on to something with the short somewhere.

Now that I know the flasher is good, my digressing has turned into a hi-jack of this thread, my apologies ....back to the upgrade discussion

I have a 97 Cruiser and just converted all the turn, park, reverse and brake lights to LEDs. As others have noted, the stock flasher will not work. Neither will EP35 flasher. You need to get an EP35L flasher - available from Napa. It works just fine as it is made to handle LED bulbs. I have not tried it with the trailer as those lights are still to be converted to LEDs.

So the stock flasher is an EP34 with a jumper and socket/base to reverse its polarity. :cheers:
AutoElectricalParts00787m17473.jpg

Definitely simpler to pull whole assembly (keep as spare) and replace with a Tridon EP36.

Or is the socket/base (not jumper) still needed to seat the EP36 on fuse block??
34213-electronic-led-flasher-ep34.jpg

Ok, couple things....

On my 87 Samurai I had the so-called "hyperflash" problem because the PO changed out my front turn signals with LEDs.
I also had to rip out the Uhaul trailer wiring adapter because with the new LED compatible flasher (see below) my 4 way hazards would not work. Once I put things back to stock...perfection....and proper slow flash rate.

Normal flasher units don't handle LEDs or mixed setups at all.
I needed an LED capable flasher unit.
NAPA sells "Tridon" style Taiwan made flashers, but you have to be careful to get the ones with an L in the part number.
If its labeled EP34 etc. with no L....do not buy it.
Make them look up the correct LED compatible unit.

To avoid all this garbage, Autozone sells the proper US made LED compatible flashers.
They are made by Novita. Novita bought out Tridon.

Novita EP34 flasher that worked perfect in my Samurai:
http://www.autozone.com/electrical-...ning-flasher/novita-turn-signal-flasher/6416/

ws8R6DB.jpg

Hopefully Autozone has a Novita that works in our Cruisers.

The stock flasher is supposed to be a Novita EP35.

Just bought one from Autozone. Plugged it in with the stock Toyota base/adapter.
Nothing happened...no turn signals/hazards.
Slapped the OEM flasher back in...everything ok.

I put the EP35 in my Samurai...nothing.

Contacting Novita now to see about sending this one back and getting a new one.

Sooo....maybe it blew in the Cruiser?

Ok...some new info comes to light.

Autozone, Rock Auto etc. list the wrong flasher. They say for a 1995 LC it's a Novita EP35.
This is wrong. EP35 and EP36 are the WRONG polarity.

Aids10 is correct in his post stating that the stock flasher is an EP34 with the Toyota base (and L clip) used to reverse the polarity.

I just tested a Novita EP34 with the Toyota base adapter...IT WORKS.
You will need to shave a tab off of the Novita as it does not slide into the Toyota base adapter properly.

You will also need to put a couple dabs of hot glue or tape to stick any aftermarket flashers into the Toyota base.
Aftermarket flashers are missing the locking tabs the OEM flasher has.

Pics in a bit.

Special thanks to Joseph at Novita Technologies. I called them and he reminded of the EP34 polarity being the same as OEM flasher.
He's also sending me replacement flashers and making sure they test good.
Will be following up with him and sending the EP35 back to see if it blew or was defective right off the bat.
It may have just blown from being polarity sensitive.
He's also going to make sure the vendors update the application catalogs so Landcruiser owners get the correct flasher the first time.

I'm really happy to speak to a responsive company for once!

Last edited:
Pics of the Toyota adapter etc.....
Novita EP34 flasher works great.
Just needs tab removed and some hot glue drops to keep it stuck into the Toyota adapter.

oop5MbR.jpg

spDYHgG.jpg

weOvUdO.jpg

Just reporting back with a definitive answer. :beer:

The OEM assembly is the equivalent of an EP35/EP36 flasher; comprising of an EP34 flasher with a jumper/clip to reverse its polarity and a socket/base to house all and mate with the relay block.

Therefore your options are:

1. Pull factory flasher/jumper/socket and replace with a Novita EP36 HD flasher. This is what I did and the flasher seats firmly into relay block (kept factory flasher as a spare).

2. Pull factory flasher and reuse jumper and socket with an EP34 flasher but you'll need to modify the flasher by removing its tabs first (as koffeekommando did above).

http://www.tridon.com.au/databank/documents/CAT015_Automotive-Relay.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom