Heater O-rings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone know what size O-rings are used in the heater pipe connections? (the metal to metal pipes connected with C-clips at the heater core). Thanks.

Surprisingly, the EPC does not show them being available separately. Neither does SOR.

You're prolly gonna have to take the old ones and match 'em up with the proper metric at NAPA. Don't know the size off hand.

EDIT: it's hard to tell from the EPC, it looks like the "C" clip, but trade motion calls it O-ring. 96710-01016

Dunno. :meh:

GL

Last edited:
Spike Strip: Thanks, that pointed me in the right direction. The part number you gave has been replaced with part number 96711-19016, and it is the O-ring. Thanks.

Reviving this thread and adding a question

The original 60 series heater core O-rings 96710-01016 have been superseded to 96711-19016. Out of interest, that is the same O-ring that seals the pump cover to the rear housing on a later, 4-bolt type power steering pump (in the US I think these are only found on the FJ62).
20230117_201006[1].jpg

Anyway, I have cleaned up the ports on my heater core and the flanges of the pipes which go through the bulkhead in citric acid, and polished them up to a shine. They look nice and smooth but still seem to have some light dimpling or texture from, I assume, corrosion.

20230117_195900[1].jpg

I'm not sure whether to expect to the O rings to take up this surface, or should I help them by putting the tiniest smear of silicone RTV on the flanges and ports (not the O ring).

Any ideas which is more likely to seal?

Thanks

EO

Reviving this thread and adding a question

The original 60 series heater core O-rings 96710-01016 have been superseded to 96711-19016. Out of interest, that is the same O-ring that seals the pump cover to the rear housing on a later, 4-bolt type power steering pump (in the US I think these are only found on the FJ62).
View attachment 3221757
Anyway, I have cleaned up the ports on my heater core and the flanges of the pipes which go through the bulkhead in citric acid, and polished them up to a shine. They look nice and smooth but still seem to have some light dimpling or texture from, I assume, corrosion.

View attachment 3221758

I'm not sure whether to expect to the O rings to take up this surface, or should I help them by putting the tiniest smear of silicone RTV on the flanges and ports (not the O ring).

Any ideas which is more likely to seal?

Thanks

EO

I recently pulled my heater core due to a leak because one of the o-rings failed. When I replaced the o-rings I added a small amount of water pump type RTV as an extra precaution. Heater works great and is leak free.

Those junctions seem to be very hard to seal, once the heater is removed, particularly when using the old clamps.

Some have had the tubes brazed to finally stop the drips.

I used some coolant-rated RTV (from Toyota I think, but it may have been Hylomar), along with New Rings and it's held up for 12 years, now. I did let the whole thing with RTV cure for 24 hrs before trying to assemble back into its housing.

photo67-M.jpg

Thanks guys, I'll go with a little silicone then. I think I'll use the Permatex Ultra Black that I have as it will be a long wait to get any special water pump RTV out here, but I'll read up first whether that would be a bad move.

My C clips look perfect and the pipes are a good snug fit in the core, so I don't forsee issues. I have read threads where people cheap out on generic O-rings and then get leaks. Or maybe don't fully clean out the corrosion.

EO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom