Heater assembly (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I’m rebuilding the heater assembly in my 78 FJ40, was missing the handle and I thought this angled piece and the parts I bought don’t seem to work can someone please help

310E566A-4DCC-4DFD-A29B-F25ADB1E67DF.jpeg

188BE5B3-38DA-4D6A-A368-6B83185CADDE.jpeg

E8C24696-7B92-4577-BBD1-83410830093C.jpeg

Figured it out after finding a similar unit, at least it seems to work correctly

View attachment 2794474
Ok, in the picture 2794432 you can see what looks like a torsion or constant force spring on the bottom plate. The only place I have a spring is up in the plastic housing for the vent flap. Do you have springs in both places, and did you have both of them originally? I basically have the same problem you had, lots of nylon parts missing and I could not find any parts list or pictures. There is a video from Dan 40 on rebuilding a heater box but its Australian and he didn't mention the floor vent spring that I think I see in your first picture. I actually need to replace the spring that I do have for the vent because its home made, but I can't find any information on what its correct name is or where you can buy them. Now I might need 2 springs.

By the way, thanks for the pictures, they will help.

Ok, in the picture 2794432 you can see what looks like a torsion or constant force spring on the bottom plate. The only place I have a spring is up in the plastic housing for the vent flap. Do you have springs in both places, and did you have both of them originally? I basically have the same problem you had, lots of nylon parts missing and I could not find any parts list or pictures. There is a video from Dan 40 on rebuilding a heater box but its Australian and he didn't mention the floor vent spring that I think I see in your first picture. I actually need to replace the spring that I do have for the vent because its home made, but I can't find any information on what its correct name is or where you can buy them. Now I might need 2 springs.

There were 2 springs one on each baffle but I ended up taking the bottom spring off and it works fine. You can find all the Nylon bushing and screws from www

there were 2 springs originally one on each baffle, I needed up taking the bottom spring off and works fine. You can find all the bushings and screws from specter off road www.sor.com the sell a heater rebuild kit. I didnt use the foam in that kit for the baffles I bought 1/4 inch think adhesive back neoprene foam on Amazon and just cut to size. Also watch the 40 channel on YouTube season 1 episode 54

there were 2 springs originally one on each baffle, I needed up taking the bottom spring off and works fine. You can find all the bushings and screws from specter off road www.sor.com the sell a heater rebuild kit. I didnt use the foam in that kit for the baffles I bought 1/4 inch think adhesive back neoprene foam on Amazon and just cut to size. Also watch the 40 channel on YouTube season 1 episode 54

I have the SOR kit, and I called with questions but they really didn't know what went where. I asked about the spring- I only knew about 1 of them- and they looked to see if they had any not spoken for but they didn't. Here's a picture of the 'spring' that I do have:
IMG_6624.jpeg

Its a relatively simple torsion spring that I could probably find something that would work somewhere but I can't really even use this one as a good example. You can have springs made if you know the dimension of the wire and number of coil loops but this is just something someone made by hand, from the way it looks. I think I have everything else back mostly in shape, but I'd like the gates to work properly since I've gone to this much trouble.

I have the SOR kit, and I called with questions but they really didn't know what went where. I asked about the spring- I only knew about 1 of them- and they looked to see if they had any not spoken for but they didn't. Here's a picture of the 'spring' that I do have:
View attachment 2795352

Its a relatively simple torsion spring that I could probably find something that would work somewhere but I can't really even use this one as a good example. You can have springs made if you know the dimension of the wire and number of coil loops but this is just something someone made by hand, from the way it looks. I think I have everything else back mostly in shape, but I'd like the gates to work properly since I've gone to this much trouble.

72E4806F-C626-48A3-B3BF-73E73F8F7385.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom