1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heads up on 100 maintenance:

Discussion in '100-Series Cruisers' started by ShottsUZJ100, Aug 15, 2006.

1. ShottsUZJ100

ShottsUZJ100

Albums:
    If you have 35's and wheel your 100 seriously, watch these two things:

1. Loosening front wheel bearings.

2. Worn out and/or leaking steering rack...and if you don't fix it ASAP it takes out the gear box (another $800).

On a recent weekend trip my rack gave out and began leaking though the dust boot. The PS wheel loosened up in a matter of miles on a dirt road. We made it back to town just barely (5-hour drive).

In 110K miles (80K with 35's) I've:

1. Found loose wheel bearings on 3 trips. One was CM05. They loosened up FAST. Tight one day and LOOSE a month later. Re-pack and re-tighten every 25K at least. This will be my 4th WB service/tightening.

2. Starting on my 3rd Steering Rack. The first one was swapped under warranty. It was OK, just loosening. This one leaked like a siv overnight. The front-end wheel wobbled and rattled over the bumps. I don't think there's any upgrades for this part. New ones are over $1000. The big tires and off-roading wear these out.

I know some whacked out 80-dudes say I don't wheel my truck. My truck sure knows I wheel it. :D

Any how.....KEEP UP ON THAT WB maintenance! We barely got home! So, $1500+ comes out of the account. :mad:

2. dclee

dclee

Hmm, so what wears out on a hard-wheeled 80 that's comparable?

<silence>

Anyone? Buehler?

<silence>

:flipoff2:

3. ShottsUZJ100

ShottsUZJ100

Albums:
    Well...this was eye opening for me. I stand by the UZJ as my favorite Cruiser though in remembering everything I put my '93 through....I think it's front end has the edge on durability...especially with the big tires.

Since I can afford a steering rack every two years :)D ) I'll gladly enjoy my future life with Roklimo. I have learned now that the 100 DEMANDS some extra care if it's used and outfitted like mine.

I will say this. The thing sounded and felt through the floor like the wheel would fall off ASAP. It drove great and handled well all the way home....5 hours. Another 30 minutes and the power steering pump would have been shot. I'm glad Cruisers don't leave you stranded.

4. LandCruiserPhil

LandCruiserPhil Peter Pan Syndrome Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    John could this be the down side of the extra .6" of travel you have?:rolleyes: :flipoff2:

5. ShottsUZJ100

ShottsUZJ100

Albums:
    Probably. 2.6" even worse problems.

6. sleeoffroad

sleeoffroad Supporting Vendor

You run with the big dogs, you pay with the big dogs, otherwise stay on the porch.

7. ShottsUZJ100

ShottsUZJ100

Albums:
    I understand. I'll pay to play. I am VERY surprised though that I'm getting 55K/steering rack? Do other 4x4's with R&P and big tires fail like this?

8. Drinkin40s

Drinkin40s

$1500 for a nice rack..... sounds cheap :grinpimp:

9. dclee

dclee

Seriously though, that does suck that you've had those problems. As much as I enjoy ribbing you, I'll never enjoy hearing about people having problems with their trucks. Hope it all works out.

I will say that while it's great that you can afford to replace parts every couple of years, to me that's not the point. One reason I like Land Cruisers is specifically because I don't want to have to worry about throwing money at it on a periodic basis. If I had wanted that, I would have bought a Rover or a Heep.

Take care,

10. ShottsUZJ100

ShottsUZJ100

Albums:
    Never thought of it that way! :D

11. ShottsUZJ100

ShottsUZJ100

Albums:
    Well....that's why I want them too. When they gave me the first rack under warranty (2004) I had some looseness off-road when driving. After the rack was replaced I still had some remaining so i did the WB packing again. Then...all was tight. I always thought the rack was replaced BY MISTAKE. Now, 2-years later this one's bad...I'll bet the original was loose like they said.

This is probably a weak part on all 100's? That's a real shame. :rolleyes:

12. ShottsUZJ100

ShottsUZJ100

Albums:
    Just learned that Taco's have the same early rack replacement issues. Interesting.

13. cruiser99

cruiser99

John,

Mine has 55K on the original rack and no sighns of problems... wheel bearings are nice and tight also.

As you recall, we got the 35's almost on the same day (you made me do it...) and you know what my truck goes through...

Something is up with your front end, your truck's, I mean.

D.

14. ShottsUZJ100

ShottsUZJ100

Albums:
    Any way to tell what might be up with mine?

15. powderpig

powderpig SILVER Star

tighten the loose nut behind the wheel!!!!!!

on a more straight note. It may be the way you drive it. Take a look between the different styles of driving. If no different then look to the driver.
    Maybe the third time is the charm. good luck with the new rack. robbie

16. ShottsUZJ100

ShottsUZJ100

Albums:
    No way to tighten me. I'm falling apart.

HEY....I THOUGHT YOU'D BE ON THE ROAD SO I DIDN'T PM YOU.

In Moab....did you tighten BOTH wheel bearings or just the driver's side?

17. powderpig

powderpig SILVER Star

Just the drivers side. I am home for a few days on a vacation. I saw this and could not resist. robbie

18. ShottsUZJ100

ShottsUZJ100

Albums:
    Ahhhh.....that makes sense. The driver's side wheel is still ROCK TIGHT. When we jacked up the PS last week it wobbled about an inch too and from. Had you a tightened this one it'd still be on TIGHT. :mad:

Have fun with that FJ Team!

19. bjowett

bjowett Supporting Vendor

Try adding a steering stabilizer... it will reduce wear on all rack components. More info on that if you want it...

Adjust the rack once in a while. It wears just like all moving parts... let it get too sloppy and she'll let loose.

Add a larger cooler for the fluid.

20. 100 TD

100 TD

Wheel bearings should not come loose if they are installed correctly. If they do loosen, the small amount of wheel wobble places undue high frequency vibration into the rack and may cause additional wear.
    IIRC the 04 and up PS pump oil coolers were changed to a larger diameter pipe cooler (but shorter than the earlier smaller diameter, but longer ones), this change may achieve better cooling (slower flow and greater surface area to conduct heat away) and increased longevity of the PS components. My thoughts.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">