Headlight wire harness FJ60 and FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Approx how long is the wait for these? I sent you a PM back in November, or October, and never got a reply. Just wanted to make sure I made it on the list, lol.

Approx how long is the wait for these? I sent you a PM back in November, or October, and never got a reply. Just wanted to make sure I made it on the list, lol.

I'm embarrassed to say that I don't have you on my list. I don't know how I missed you. I have added you now and will try to get a harness built for you sooner than later. I'll be back in touch. Please send me an email at wiredwagon @ comcast dot net and quote this PM so I have you on record. Email is always better than PMs.

Erik

Erik, what is your site for wiring instructions again? I was wanting to review how to wire up aux lights through your relay box.

I sent you a PM, I would like to add my name to the list for an ultimate for my 40.
Thanks

Do you make a 24V version? My HJ61 puts out 21V at the headlights...

Erik, what is your site for wiring instructions again? I was wanting to review how to wire up aux lights through your relay box.

James,

If I didn't answer your question yet, and for anyone else looking for the install guides for any of the Harnesses and/or Auxiliary Relay Panels, here are the links.

Install guide for FJ40 Headlight Harness:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByTx_H_nxAsoVjhIR2RrMHNUS21xQURQWkJaclBvZw/edit?usp=sharing

Install guide for FJ60/FJ62 Headlight harness:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByTx_H_nxAsoZUdzaUVwVTZTSUdleUNoMG5XZEdTdw/edit?usp=sharing

Install guide for FJ62 Headlght Harness plus Auxiliary Relay Panel:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By...YzQ1LWExNDktNGIyMTU2MWEzMzBj/edit?usp=sharing

Install guide for Auxiliary Relay Panel:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByTx_H_nxAsoTmZTMUhYMXFSb3VsOWZ3YVhoei1vdw/edit?usp=sharing

And, as a bonus, my wiring guide and primer which includes the tools you will need, sources for parts, and some tips for completing the wiring for auxiliary relays:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByTx_H_nxAsoOUdPbVgxRHJEeVE/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Do you make a 24V version? My HJ61 puts out 21V at the headlights...

I recently got my hands on some 24 volt relays, so yes, I could build a 24 volt harness. But before I can build a prototype, I will need a wiring diagram of your headlight circuit. Also, I am a little hesitant to have the first one be to a customer in Denmark. So, if there is someone in the USA with an HJ61 that wants a new headlight harness and wants to be the Guinea Pig for the prototype which could involve sending it back to me if I don't get it right the first time, let me know.

Last edited:
I understand, but I'll see if I can get the diagram, all my FSM's are in a box somewhere though...

Did you ever get my email about the harness? I never received a reply and wanted to make sure you got it.
Thanks

I understand, but I'll see if I can get the diagram, all my FSM's are in a box somewhere though...

I got some manuals on discs. I'll dig through the lot and see what I can come up with. I'm in Vancouver bc. Is that close enough to be the first hj61 Ginny?

I finally got a schematic for the 24 volt Canadian rigs with the "evil center tap." All I need now is a guinea pig with some money, patience, and the willingness to send it back if it needs to be modified. If I don't get it right the first time, it could rapidly escalate the price since shipping to Canada is $35 last I checked. Additionally, this won't be a "plug and play" harness. You will have to connect some wires. Also, I would need you to take some pics as you do it so I can document the procedure for future customers.

So I just took another look at the schematic and it is for a BJ40. It looks like the headlights are 12 volt headlights, but everything else electrical including the high beam indicator lamp is 24 volts. If this is how the HJ61 is also wired then we may have a match. As I recall, the HJ61 has four rectangular headlights and the BJ40 has two round headlights. So you will need to do some sleuthing to determine the correct wire colors, etc. The dimmer relay for the BJ40 has 8 wires connected to it. How many wires does the dimmer relay for the HJ61 have connected to it?

My plan is to build the headlight harness for 24 volt H4 headlights. You should have no problem locating 24 volt lamps.

And, as I mentioned, there are a couple of wires you will need to detach from the dimmer relay and attach to the new headlight harness. From the BJ40 diagram, the Red/Yellow wire at pin 3 of the dimmer relay is the high beam control wire, the Red/Green wire at pin 4 of the dimmer relay is the low beam control wire, and the Red/Yellow wire at pin 2 of the dimmer relay is the source for the high beam indicator light. Those three wires will have to be disconnected from the dimmer relay and extended to where the relay module for the new harness will be located. We will have to figure out the best place to mount the relay module--usually on either wheel well. By the way, where is the dimmer relay located?

Still interested?

Last edited:
Just for the record, HJ60's, which were 24V in Canada, use 12V headlamps via a centre tap. The headlamps were round, though I'm sure you already knew that.

Just for the record, HJ60's, which were 24V in Canada, use 12V headlamps via a centre tap. The headlamps were round, though I'm sure you already knew that.
If I remember correctly, the 24V BJ40/42 have the same center tap as the CDN HJ60.

I'm sure I do have some picture of this relay under the driver kick panel. I'll try removing it again and check it out.

BJ40s and HJ60s have round headlights according to google pics, HJ61s have 4 rectangular lights like an FJ62. If all of these use the same center tap dimmer relay, then a new harness can be built that will bypass the dimmer relay and allow you to use 24 volt headlights. If the dimmer relay is behind the driver kick panel, then that is pretty accessible for disconnecting some wires. I'm going to work up a schematic and post it up here in a day or two for opinions.

I'm not sure, but 24V HJ60 (excluding canadian market) and 24V HJ61 doesn't have that center tap.

Well there's some interest at least for a conversation.

I have a Japanese 1989 hj61. I'll get to the manuals tomorrow. I'm terrible when it comes to wiring. Any direction to help design a proper schematic would be helpful.

Also, if it helps...

I have a "like the fj62" four square lights.

Have h1 and h4 both 24v bulbs. Both casings are hella. But what ever works for me. My running lights are rubbish and high beams seem like running lights. Comparers to the wife's corolla.

I think what would help Erik is a scanned copy of the headlight schematic from the FSM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom