Headlight switch issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a 75 FJ40 that has less than brilliant headlights. After replacing the headlights and not seeing any improvement I proceeded to check for wiring and connection issues. I discovered there was a voltage drop of a little over 2 volts coming out of the switch. I cleaned all the connections from the fuse block forward and shot some contact cleaner into the switch a few times. Now I'm down a little over a volt. Has anybody ever disassembled the headlight switch, cleaned it properly and reassembled it? Used switches are really spendy and are prone to the same problem mine has. If it can't be disassembled what are my options?

@hollowbase
I've got a 75 FJ40 that has less than brilliant headlights. After replacing the headlights and not seeing any improvement I proceeded to check for wiring and connection issues. I discovered there was a voltage drop of a little over 2 volts coming out of the switch. I cleaned all the connections from the fuse block forward and shot some contact cleaner into the switch a few times. Now I'm down a little over a volt. Has anybody ever disassembled the headlight switch, cleaned it properly and reassembled it? Used switches are really spendy and are prone to the same problem mine has. If it can't be disassembled what are my options?

Calling @ToyotaMatt

I just finished reading some of your posts where a guy had basically the same wiring issues I have. The plug was discarded and replaced with 5 individual wires, all red. Thankfully, they were numbered on both ends. Do you sell the connectors for both ends? Is rehabbing the switch viable?

Maybe a " USED " switch from EBAY is indeed a BAD idea ? :confused:

Perhaps a Professionally Restored one that comes with a NEW OEM PARTS Service Spec connector is a better idea .............
:cool:

DSCN1043.JPG
DSCN1048 - Copy.JPG
DSCN1051.JPG
DSCN1052.JPG
led switch #3 .JPG

Maybe a " USED " switch from EBAY is indeed a BAD idea ? :confused:

Perhaps a Professionally Restored one that comes with a NEW OEM PARTS Service Spec connector is a better idea .............
:cool:

View attachment 2704935View attachment 2704936View attachment 2704937View attachment 2704939View attachment 2704941

I followed this site to clean and redo my wiper switch. I believe the headlight switch is similar.

I looked at that, you would think the processes would be similar. Worth a try, thanks for the info.

I looked at that, you would think the processes would be similar. Worth a try, thanks for the info.

Head lights switch 75-84 way different inside

a updated design

buy a junker to practice on first if u try your own thing …

Head lights switch 75-84 way different inside

a updated design

buy a junker to practice on first if u try your own thing …
What are your prices on the restored one with the connector and do you have a connector for the other end? Mine was removed.

What are your prices on the restored one with the connector and do you have a connector for the other end? Mine was removed.

Sure

please PM me to discuss further .....

thanks

here is the last few days all coming together ......:cool:

42FF161A-76E3-446E-843B-355E51F49115.jpeg

My instrument cluster lamp isn't working, also the one that makes the heater box control light up. I see there is a resistor in the switch, and I see it on the wiring diagram, suggesting that the resistor is bad. What do I do?

My instrument cluster lamp isn't working, also the one that makes the heater box control light up. I see there is a resistor in the switch, and I see it on the wiring diagram, suggesting that the resistor is bad. What do I do?

Not a resister ..

It’s a potentiometer…

That’s for the twist rotate interior illumination feature you will never use ….

You should start by simply updating all your old beat down and burned out Fred Flintstone filiment bulbs to the latest 2022 LED DIODE technology…

LED …

MAX Lumens type

Then you will be very happy you can see what is what at night time ..

Not a resister ..

It’s a potentiometer…

That’s for the twist rotate interior illumination feature you will never use ….

You should start by simply updating all your old beat down and burned out Fred Flintstone filiment bulbs to the latest 2022 LED DIODE technology…

LED …

MAX Lumens type

Then you will be very happy you can see what is what at night time ..
I would have never tried twisting that knob, lol. You fixed it, sort-of, contacts might be dirty and it is kinda fickle? Really nervous as three of four vehicles have mice dining on dried hackberry seeds right now. I'm holding off on the LED upgrade for aesthetic, color-temp. and brightness considerations.

Last edited:
I would have never tried twisting that knob, lol. You fixed it, sort-of, contacts might be dirty and it is kinda fickle? Really nervous as three of four vehicles have mice dining on dried hackberry seeds right now. I'm holding off on the LED upgrade for aesthetic, color-temp. and brightness considerations.

my friend ,

you have just tapped into a bigger bolder and greater Teq Interior illumination world ........ :D

now i want you to , after dark to compare what you have going on now to these images below please "

if you want to enter , my world , the Shangri-La of what is possible in the year 2022 , harnessing the indeed space age Japan engineering of the 1970's

dream big pipe dreams because the below is real , and i don't photo-shop this type of T-TEN Empowerment through Education Technical study

1669580251089.png

1669580082300.png

1669580102542.png

1669580173616.png

1669580118181.png

Lastly ,

This is a RECENT TECH. VIDEO of my work , this is taking NON USA Saudi. Spec. LX modle 40 and 55 back lit knob pull switches and bringing into the modern age of enlightenment

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom