headlight reminder? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sorry i forgot so i ran out in our monsoon to check and the result is ... nope, no dimmer...
setting? bright enough to see the guages..

well if you think so that is fine by me...

i checked the Aussi EPC and there is no listing for the dash dimmer switch and i highly doubt the factory would have installed it down there...
but, that being said, i have been wrong before...

i'll check with my New Zealand contacts and see if they got the dimmer switch...
cheers

Hey, I don't want to start an argument, being such a forum newbie here, but it is listed in the manual, I managed to take these pics for you. It's such a trivial thing anyway, I don't see any need to have them adjustable, I just wish we could get those double diff-locks here!

WOW!! look at that. i learned something new again today...
all the responses from New Zealand so far have been negative as well...
you got a rare bird there, congrates...

No worries, glad to help. From what I know all later Toyota 4x4's here in OZ have the dimmer. I also got an original sales brochure printed in Queensland which I will post up if I can get some decent pics or scan of it.
LMAO @ "What a charge!"

i took anothe rlook at the EPC and no mention anywhere of the dimmer switch... go figure.

and a 12V BJ74 to boot... sheesh, how do you Aussies keep all this straight?
cheers

crushers said:
well if you think so that is fine by me...

i checked the Aussi EPC and there is no listing for the dash dimmer switch and i highly doubt the factory would have installed it down there...
but, that being said, i have been wrong before...

i'll check with my New Zealand contacts and see if they got the dimmer switch...
cheers

I have one too . It is part of the australian standards for motor vehicles,so all aussie cars have them after a certain date.

i have been chatting with the New Zealanders and they shake their heads when it comes to the Aussi spec trucks...
is your's a 12V BJ74 also?

BJBully said:
Hey, I don't want to start an argument, being such a forum newbie here, but it is listed in the manual, I managed to take these pics for you. It's such a trivial thing anyway, I don't see any need to have them adjustable, I just wish we could get those double diff-locks here!

The dash layout pic shows a 3B engine shut down button, too. Cool...

-Kevin

crushers said:
i have been chatting with the New Zealanders and they shake their heads when it comes to the Aussi spec trucks...
is your's a 12V BJ74 also?

That dimmer switch is used right across the Toyota range here. You may find one in Corolla.
I think the 40/45 series also had a dimmer switch incorparated into the on/off headlight switch

My dashlights dim quite well thanks...when I leave my headlights on... :eek:

Back to the original question now. Do these Aussie spec cruisers have headlight on reminders, and are they in 24v? :confused:

hj75 diesel 12 volt, dash lights dimmer but no headlight on reminder.Have noticed dash lights are getting dull with the dimmer turned right up,no blown bulbs.Do you think its the dimmer? cheers.

expat said:
My dashlights dim quite well thanks...when I leave my headlights on... :eek:

Back to the original question now. Do these Aussie spec cruisers have headlight on reminders, and are they in 24v? :confused:

I couldnt find any reference to it in the 60-70 series body manual.
I doubt that such a device exists.
Virtually everthing that was available on an oz spec 60 series,was available on the 7# series at the same time and Ive never seen a headlight reminder on either.

All locally sold landcruisers are 12V inc military versions.

As far as I know, none of them have headlight reminders. In Oz we usually only get the basic models compared to what was available in Japan. NZ gets more models than we do. I think the BJ74 was 'top of the range' for us, like the 60 series Sahara's. Even so, we miss out on other options in the book like seats with adjustable side bolsters and lumbar, dashtop gauges (altimeter, thermometers etc.), fog lights, headlight washers, diff locks, winches, fully floating rear ends (I think all ours are semi-floating), fire extinguishers (!), power mirrors etc, etc. Strange oddities do occur though. My brother has a 40 series SWB 2F (1980?) with factory intermittent wipers. Over here that it extremely rare, and it's not solid state electronics either. Inside it has a small motor turning an eccentric cam and arm arrangement to enable the delay. Just a bit of trivia. At the moment I am enjoying my BJ74 very much. As for the headlight reminder you can make your own simple one by wiring a buzzer between the park light and drivers side door switch, through a diode (stops th other doors from setting off the buzzer) and back to earth. If you leave your lights on and open the drivers door, the buzzer will sound. If you want to leave your lights on, close the door. Alternatively you could also incorporate an overide switch for those times you might want to have the door open with the lights on. ie. :D

(+)12v or 24v (park lights)
|
+-+--+
| | Buzzer (12v or 24v)
+-+--+
|
+--|<|--> To existing drivers interior light switch
| Diode
|
O
---| Drivers door switch
O
|
v
Earth​

A good reminder for me for shutting off the head lights (yes , i have drained the battery before), was to take a glance at the cigarette lighter, as long as the lighter part is gone, the dash lights shine through, and voila, headlights are either on or off....

fitchik said:
A good reminder for me for shutting off the head lights (yes , i have drained the battery before), was to take a glance at the cigarette lighter, as long as the lighter part is gone, the dash lights shine through, and voila, headlights are either on or off....

My trouble is I forget to look at the cig lighter hole! :D

gb

Thanks for all the info guys (and gal). Sorry I haven't been more active on this post, but summer has finally arrived here in Coastal BC and haven't spent much time indoors...

Although I just came home from War of the Worlds :popcorn: , and wouldn't you know it, I left my headlights on... :doh: I never actually thought I was an airhead until now.

Anyways, I 'll likely do as BJBully recommends. Thanks for the cool ascii code schematic BTW...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom