1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headlight Adjustment Issues

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by campoj2, Mar 3, 2007.

1. campoj2

campoj2

1994 FJ80 w/220k

What do you do when the phillps head adjustment screws on your headlights no longer moves the beams up or down. The screws turns but there is no movement, as I rotate the screws I can see the rotation down to the plastic housing but nothing happens.

I wish that the beams were set properly, but their not. The drivers side is full down and it sucks.

What should do??

Thanks

2. toylndcrusr

toylndcrusr

I have the same problem on both my Cruisers. Hope someone else has solved this problem.

3. campoj2

campoj2

Looks like the pool is pretty thin on this one!!

4. pbr streetgang

pbr streetgang SILVER Star

I have the same problem and was thinking that I would have to replace the adjustment mechanism to get it to work.
    I wish there was an easier fix.

5. 96landcruiser

96landcruiser

Are your bolts rusted? I am assuming corrosion has caused this mayham. Just go to your local dealership and get new bolts if you are good buddies with the parts manager you just might get them free.;) :flipoff2:

6. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    It's not that simple. There are some right-angle gear drive thingys that move the reflectors around. They are not serviced. It may be possible to fee them up if you were to remove the headlamp assembly and work on it on the bench. If they cannot be freed up you would have to replacce the lens-and-body sub assembly.

7. 96landcruiser

96landcruiser

You are always right! I purchased two new headlamp assemblys since one got busted by a flying rock:mad: . Ohh well the cost i believe i paid was $180 bucks each. :eek:

kunal

8. Slomo

Slomo It's Complicated

You didn't get them through cruiserdan?:rolleyes:

9. 96landcruiser

96landcruiser

:eek: :eek: :eek: It happened last Nov 2006 I needed them quick will order everything else through him. :cheers:

10. campoj2

campoj2

Both screws are rusted, one is set the other is not, and you can't just order 1, if you order 1 your rig will look loopsided ;)

I would imagine that CDan's number is going to 135 each give or take a few bucks.

Thanks for the help!

11. pbr streetgang

pbr streetgang SILVER Star

Thanks CDan.
    More stuff on the list!

12. longuito

longuito

Hi guys,

I know I'm reviving a dinosaur of a thread with my post, but I'd like to know if anyobe was able to resolve this without having to change the headlamp assy.

Last night I was trying to regulate the beam and when I realized that nothing was happening I took off the headlamps and discovered that the plastic gears in the grey "gearbox" or right angle drive that turns the actual adjustment mechanism were completely broken. :eek:

The plastic is apparently very brittle after 16 years of daily engine and headlamp heat, but I'm appalled that Toyota through their suppliers would cut corners like this and not make them out of bronze. Granted it's not a part that is frequently used but when you need to use it it has to work! :bang:

If anyone has been able to find these right angle drives used, please let me know. Short of that I will find out if my machine shop can make them in bronze... Hoping to hear back from you soon! Regards,