Headlight Adjustment Issues (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1994 FJ80 w/220k

What do you do when the phillps head adjustment screws on your headlights no longer moves the beams up or down. The screws turns but there is no movement, as I rotate the screws I can see the rotation down to the plastic housing but nothing happens.

I wish that the beams were set properly, but their not. The drivers side is full down and it sucks.

What should do??

Thanks

Looks like the pool is pretty thin on this one!!

1994 FJ80 w/220k

What do you do when the phillps head adjustment screws on your headlights no longer moves the beams up or down. The screws turns but there is no movement, as I rotate the screws I can see the rotation down to the plastic housing but nothing happens.

I wish that the beams were set properly, but their not. The drivers side is full down and it sucks.

What should do??

Thanks

Are your bolts rusted? I am assuming corrosion has caused this mayham. Just go to your local dealership and get new bolts if you are good buddies with the parts manager you just might get them free.;) :flipoff2:

Are your bolts rusted? I am assuming corrosion has caused this mayham. Just go to your local dealership and get new bolts if you are good buddies with the parts manager you just might get them free.;) :flipoff2:

It's not that simple. There are some right-angle gear drive thingys that move the reflectors around. They are not serviced. It may be possible to fee them up if you were to remove the headlamp assembly and work on it on the bench. If they cannot be freed up you would have to replacce the lens-and-body sub assembly.

It's not that simple. There are some right-angle gear drive thingys that move the reflectors around. They are not serviced. It may be possible to fee them up if you were to remove the headlamp assembly and work on it on the bench. If they cannot be freed up you would have to replacce the lens-and-body sub assembly.

You are always right! I purchased two new headlamp assemblys since one got busted by a flying rock:mad: . Ohh well the cost i believe i paid was $180 bucks each. :eek:

kunal

You are always right! I purchased two new headlamp assemblys since one got busted by a flying rock:mad: . Ohh well the cost i believe i paid was $180 bucks each. :eek:

kunal

You didn't get them through cruiserdan?:rolleyes:

You didn't get them through cruiserdan?:rolleyes:

:eek: :eek: :eek: It happened last Nov 2006 I needed them quick will order everything else through him. :cheers:

Both screws are rusted, one is set the other is not, and you can't just order 1, if you order 1 your rig will look loopsided ;)

I would imagine that CDan's number is going to 135 each give or take a few bucks.

Thanks for the help!

Hi guys,

I know I'm reviving a dinosaur of a thread with my post, but I'd like to know if anyobe was able to resolve this without having to change the headlamp assy.

Last night I was trying to regulate the beam and when I realized that nothing was happening I took off the headlamps and discovered that the plastic gears in the grey "gearbox" or right angle drive that turns the actual adjustment mechanism were completely broken. :eek:

The plastic is apparently very brittle after 16 years of daily engine and headlamp heat, but I'm appalled that Toyota through their suppliers would cut corners like this and not make them out of bronze. Granted it's not a part that is frequently used but when you need to use it it has to work! :bang:

If anyone has been able to find these right angle drives used, please let me know. Short of that I will find out if my machine shop can make them in bronze... Hoping to hear back from you soon! Regards,

Second revival of this ancient thread. Any ideas short of replacing the housings? My screws turn, but just make a squeaky plastic sound--no movement at all.

I just went through this last month after hitting a deer and needing to aim a used replacement headlight housing.

The first photo is the mechanism in question. Pretty poor design IMO. Rain, road mist, salt brine, runs down the adjustment screw over the years and causes the shaft to rust inside the plastic gears. The rust expands the shaft diameter and the gear cracks. It is only a press fit gear on a knurled shaft so someone handy with a 3D printer could probably recreate them fairly easy.

In my case, the adjustment mechanism inside the headlight bucket still worked fine. Just the 90 degree gear mechanism was shot. I removed the gears and there is a flat metal tab sticking out from the housing. A 7/32" 6 point socket was able to grab the tab and I was able to adjust the tilt just fine. It is tight to work a ratchet behind the headlight but with some creativity it is possible.

Adjuster 1.jpg

Metal adjustment tab.
Adjuster 2.jpg

Reactions: sxp
Awesome, I'll see if I can get something like that to work. My next thought was going to be installing some washers under the lower headlight mounting tabs to angle the whole thing upward--that would not be remotely precise!

Second revival of this ancient thread. Any ideas short of replacing the housings? My screws turn, but just make a squeaky plastic sound--no movement at all.
Same problem I am having now. Is it possible to separate the glass from the plastic housing to see if the inner mechanisms can be fixed, I'm thinking the gear is striped or the screw has been unscrewed

Do a search and you'll find instructions for separating the glass from the housing. It involves baking your headlight assembly in the oven until the adhesive gets soft, separating the glass, then garnishing to taste.

Last edited:
Do a search and you'll find instructions for separating the glass from the housings it involves baking your headlight assembly in the oven until the adhesive gets soft, separating the glass, then garnishing to taste.
I have been looking

I have been looking
I just put this in the search "separating the glass from the housings" and I got two posts and they were this post and the one I posted on????

I just put this in the search "separating the glass from the housings" and I got two posts and they were this post and the one I posted on????
I found it, thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom