Head gasket job

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am replacing my head gasket on my 95 fzj80.. All work consists of head gasket,machine work,balanced injectors,major tune up,all hidden hoses,water pump,thermostat,radiator,timing chain tensioner,inspection of motor,cleaned and everything painted.. My question to y'all is I have a leak at my rear main seal should I have the gasket to the main seal replaced since I'm doing all of this work right now?

1995 fzj80 185,000 bfg at tko arb front bumper

I am replacing my head gasket on my 95 fzj80.. All work consists of head gasket,machine work,balanced injectors,major tune up,all hidden hoses,water pump,thermostat,radiator,timing chain tensioner,inspection of motor,cleaned and everything painted.. My question to y'all is I have a leak at my rear main seal should I have the gasket to the main seal replaced since I'm doing all of this work right now?

1995 fzj80 185,000 bfg at tko arb front bumper

That is my plan when I get around to doing my HG. I would.

I wouldn't worry about it right now because the rear main seal and head gasket are two completely different jobs.

Unless you pull the engine to do the head gasket, it makes little sense to bundle them together.

Do you know for sure that its your rear main seal? I had a major leak before my HG repair. I believe mine leak was due to the valve cover being extremely loose causing oil to run down the block. I also replaced the arc seals and pan gaskets, no more leaks now, didn't touch the rear main seal.

Well prior to this head gasket issue.. I replaced oil pump seal and pan gasket.. I still noticed a nipple bead of oil back on the rear main.. My mechanic whom is helping said doing it know woul knock about 3 hours of the labor off.. Any thoughts?

Your so far along now and it's about a open as it gets without ripping the engine out or dropping the trans.

If the labor cost sounds fair why not. PM now will pay for itself later besides you get rid of a oil leak to boot.

I've seen many leaks in that area look like the main and only be the upper oil pan gasket next to it. Have him look there before the main to save you some change.

JM2C

Last edited:
Ok head gasket complete.. I have had the vehicle back for two days today i look down at dash cel comes on I pull into an autozone do a code check and I get p0401 (exhaust gas recirculation flow insufficient).. Also look over and my coolant in the reserve is pretty much below the low mark still some red coolant in there.. Check radiator after it cools down there's plenty coolant in there but it has a red/brown look to it inside radiator.. I email the mechanic whom did the head job he says clear the code add some water to resevoir and go from there(this mechanic solely works on cruisers so I should have some trust ya think).. Do y'all think i should add water or toyota red? He says this is sometimes common with the resevoir going low after a hg job... Not too mention it was about 100* outside today.. Also my rig never over heated today.. Any help on this would be much appreciated.. Seriously frustrated in Atlanta!

95 fzj 80 186,000 285/75 BFG TA KO ARB Front bumper

he should have bleed the cooling system properly. but yes it is normal for the engine to be using some coolant. and try to add toyota red if you have it. po401 is for the egr and is a common problem im pretty sure they did not clean the ports out when the manifold and valve were removed thats the reason for the code coming on.

I would think that he did because I have a new radiator hoses thermostat.. Just wondering why I have a brown look to coolant already..

It is common after major engine work to get air trapped in places in the cooling system, sounds like that happened to your truck. It can take a while(read:200-300 miles) to 'burp' it all out. Adding distilled water won't hurt, that is what I would do. The code could be an intermittent issue, or a loose connector, etc. Your mechanic should check it out again, just to quell any frustration on your part. Work with him if you can(I'm a self-employed Mechanic, so I might be biased).

Did you have oil in your coolant when the head blew? Maybe it didn't get flushed well enough annd you have somme residual mixing in there now. Man I am praying to Mr. T that the head job was done well and it's not leaking again.:popcorn:

I had my head gasket done earlier this year and did not do the main seal. I have had all of my hoses replaced except the heater hoses that run on top of the transmission. They will have to pull the tranmission to fix the rear main seal and I'll have those hoses replaced at that time.

It is going to cost you over $3000 to fix the head gasket if you pay someone. Repairing the rear main seal is going to be over $1000. They are in no way related so it simply boils down to how bad is your rear main seal leak? Mine is very slow so I'll get around to it when I can.

Texas jack i have allready done the hg job replaced all hoses new radiator thermostat balanced injectors new spark plugs timing chain tensioner water pump it did cost a little over $3,000.. My main seal is not that bad so i waited on doing that job... So I have cleared the code.. I added distiled water to my empty reservoir.. Now I am just going to monitor over the weekend and see how it does it supposed to be over 100* for 4 days hear in Atlanta over the weekend this should be a good test.. Well if any thing happens with the rig that is related to work just performed at least I am under warranty.. The one thing that concerns me is the brownish/ red coolant though..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom