Head Gasket Checklist, things to consider replacing as long as I am in there. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did you get a new accelerator cable? Mine looked like yours, but was getting sticky, and after a cold morning, and leaving the driveway and the throttle stuck at WOT, I bought an aftermarket one. It needed one small mod to use, but has been great.
I did get one, but I wanted to get this thing running and I decided to just use the old one. The motor fired right up yesterday and I drove it for about 30 miles. I will change the throttle cable, the oil and coolant this weekend and hopefully be ready for winter.

As a side note, I replaced the oil pressure sensor and my needle on the dash still doesn't move. I assume I have good oil pressure as the motor runs really well, but I am not sure what I can do to get the gauge working. Any thoughts?

I did get one, but I wanted to get this thing running and I decided to just use the old one. The motor fired right up yesterday and I drove it for about 30 miles. I will change the throttle cable, the oil and coolant this weekend and hopefully be ready for winter.

As a side note, I replaced the oil pressure sensor and my needle on the dash still doesn't move. I assume I have good oil pressure as the motor runs really well, but I am not sure what I can do to get the gauge working. Any thoughts?

There are two connector to the oil pressure switch. Make sure they both are hooked up to the switch. You can also try reversing the polarity of it.

There are two connector to the oil pressure switch. Make sure they both are hooked up to the switch. You can also try reversing the polarity of it.

They are both hooked up. I had to take the plastic clip that goes to the flat clip apart because the flat part had rusted through and was stuck inside the clip. When I did that, I think the little engager mechanism got busted. I may need to order that section of the wiring harness back to the connection on the inner fender wall. I have no idea how long the sensor has been broken, but I am also wondering if I even really need it. My Tacoma doesn't have an oil pressure gauge and that seems fine.

In my scenario, my gauge works and I did not realize that there were two wire connectors. I ordered a pressure switch thinking the switch was bad and threw away a good working pressure switch. New switch is aftermarket which works part time only during high pressure reading and reports about mid pressure range. At low pressure is does not read anything but motor runs fine. I might change the pressure switch with a better quality one with either one from junk yard or buy OEM pressure switch.

In my scenario, my gauge works and I did not realize that there were two wire connectors. I ordered a pressure switch thinking the switch was bad and threw away a good working pressure switch. New switch is aftermarket which works part time only during high pressure reading and reports about mid pressure range. At low pressure is does not read anything but motor runs fine. I might change the pressure switch with a better quality one with either one from junk yard or buy OEM pressure switch.
OK, I am not sure I understand what we are talking about here. I bought an OEM oil pressure sensor and screwed it into the block and connected the two wires to it.

Where is the switch?

I believe it is called oil pressure switch and may be sensor too.

Here is link to the one I am talking about in local parts store.

I believe it is called oil pressure switch and may be sensor too.

Here is link to the one I am talking about in local parts store.
Yep, that is the unit I replaced with a Toyota one that I got from beno. The clip that attaches to the flat part was a little mangled when I got it apart, but I got it so that should be making good contact with the new part.

I am wondering if there is something else that could be keeping it from working now?

It could be wire continuity issue from pressure switch to gauge. Or pressure gauge is not working. There is a procedure in the FSM to run this diagnosis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom