HDJ81 torque converter same as FZJ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for a replacement TC for my 1991 HDJ81's transmission (full hydro / no OD). Since the hydro A442F is so similar to the electronic version here in the states, can I toss a TC from my FZJ into the HDJ or are the TC's different?

I looked at the EPC and they are totally different part numbers. The gas one may physically install in the diesel application, but would have the wrong stall speed I'd think. Would probably have to rev the diesel higher to get the vehicle moving....

Possibly the gas torque converter stall speed could be adjusted to match the diesel spec? Not sure.

I looked at the EPC and they are totally different part numbers. The gas one may physically install in the diesel application, but would have the wrong stall speed I'd think. Would probably have to rev the diesel higher to get the vehicle moving....

Possibly the gas torque converter stall speed could be adjusted to match the diesel spec? Not sure.

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. Im not familiar with 'stall speed' - I wonder how that can be adjusted?

I was hoping for a miracle because new / rebuilt TCs for an HDJ81 are $$$. Looks like I might be out of luck.

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. Im not familiar with 'stall speed' - I wonder how that can be adjusted?

I was hoping for a miracle because new / rebuilt TCs for an HDJ81 are $$$. Looks like I might be out of luck.

What happened to your original? Maybe it can be repaired?

Regarding 'torque converter stall speed', just do a google search. Lots of good explanations out there.

I haven't seen it since the shop pulled it, but it may very well be repairable. Obviously, the quick solution would be throw an FZJ model in, but rebuilding is an option. There's also the billet TC from WAT, but im sure the shipping time would be quite long and the price difference between that and a rebuild may be too great.

Just to put this to bed: spoke with Wholesale Automatics and the answer is NOPE.

"There are differences in the spigot, pump gear, and the depth of the torque converter that make them not interchangeable."

Of course, the torque profiles are totally different between an HDJ81 and FZJ80, but it was worth entertaining the idea...

If you're not finding anyone local do a search on Mud for a company in Az called RoadRunner. I have never used them, so cannot speak from direct experience, but have seen a number of posts where folks have used them and seem happy with the service and product.

hth's
gb

If you're not finding anyone local do a search on Mud for a company in Az called RoadRunner. I have never used them, so cannot speak from direct experience, but have seen a number of posts where folks have used them and seem happy with the service and product.

hth's
gb

I actually found them last night on an old thread. Gave them a call this morning and will be shipping the TC to them tomorrow. Looks like a great option for us in the States. They told me their general approach to the rebuild is replacing the bearings, welding the fins (for strength) and slightly lowering the stall speed. And the best part is they will fix and return the TC the day they receive it, which is pretty amazing.

How did it work out an how much was the service?

Sorry to hear that. I may need TC service. What were your symtoms, how bad was it? Whats it like with the new?

This is not Covid related...

Sorry to hear that. I may need TC service. What were your symtoms, how bad was it? Whats it like with the new?

This is not Covid related...

Primarily a ticking / tapping noise in the bell-housing and just rough driving in general.

This video shows how it sounded with foot off the throttle, slowing rolling into the garage.

Bad clicking sound whenever the throttle was touched. We thought it must have been something loose, but after the TC was replaced, sound was gone...

Constant tapping of the TC while at idle

Last edited:
The second video sounds a LOT like the 1HD-T mystery ticking noise a lot of owners have!

The second video sounds a LOT like the 1HD-T mystery ticking noise a lot of owners have!
I don’t think that tick in the 2nd video is the same as in the first. Because I had that same tick in mine and I have a manual. Now that I have a new short block in mine that tick is gone... still a mystery I think.

As a recap, I struggled for nearly two years with a transmission that was slowly having more and more problems that included louder and louder ticking / rattling, harsh and jumpy driving at low speeds, and a loud clacking noise every time I hit the gas. There are several threads on here asking for help, but no one could figure it out. My shop of choice turned out to be fairly clueless so we jumped a little too quickly into a transmission rebuild before really understanding the exact problems. I encourage anyone looking to solve a transmission mystery to take their time - it might just save you a lot of cash. I probably didn't even need the rebuild...

When I got the transmission back, the ticking still continued. The TC was not replaced at the time because we had thought since it had already been replaced once, there should be no reason to replace it again (it was a used unit, which turned out to be a dud).

I then went through everything but the TC hoping to find the problem. Replaced the flywheel and flexplate among many other things. Still no change. Trans fluid looked clean and there were no visible issues anywhere.

I sent the TC off to Roadrunner in AZ who then told us the thing was toast. Inches of movement in the unit, which should have been noticed by my shop, but they swear there we no clear signs. I suppose Roadrunner did open it up before calling us so that's maybe why they figured it out and my shop didn't.

Picked up a new OEM TC for a stupid amount of money from Amayama and the ticking is now gone.

There was another problem with the truck and that was the governor. It began sticking so it wouldn't shift out of first after the rebuild. That was an easy fix.

The truck then went back to the transmission shop just this week for it sticking in first again. I could force it to drive normally only after cycling through a different gear. Once warm, there were no problems - it only happened when the engine / trans were cold. They called yesterday and said it was a kickdown cable adjustment. Im not so sure because the truck drove fine after it warmed up, but I guess we'll see...

EDIT: yep, kickdown cable adjustment worked. Transmission shifts like a dream.

Moral of the story: if you aren't doing your own work, make sure you work with a shop that you deeply trust. I cannot begin to explain the nightmare I have been through working with shops that don't really do their homework or have the experience to troubleshoot complex problems. Despite the huge expense, I now have a truck that should last me for many many years.

Last edited:
Because of Uship and other businesses driving down the costs of shipping vehicles im starting to think if the answer may be to send it to a speclists when something like this arises instead of going back and forth with your local shop supplying them with FSMs, etc

We are starting to have a few shops in the states that are accumulating more and more hours with these rigs.

Because of Uship and other businesses driving down the costs of shipping vehicles im starting to think if the answer may be to send it to a speclists when something like this arises instead of going back and forth with your local shop supplying them with FSMs, etc

We are starting to have a few shops in the states that are accumulating more and more hours with these rigs.

Yeah, but the A442F hydro is nearly identical to the electronic version we have in the states with the exception of a few small things. It really should be a no brainer. When it comes to the 1HD engines though, true story. I'd prefer someone familiar with them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom