HDJ81 front bumpstop hitting coil spring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1991 HDJ81 (RHD) and earlier this year I upgraded my suspension from stock to an OME (Old Man Emu) setup using new OME 850 springs in the front (and new OME shocks as well). The caster was obviously affected so I installed a set of bolt-on caster plates. The caster plates fixed the caster, but I have noticed that when going over a big-ish pothole, or sudden bump, that there is a metallic 'banging' sound. Upon closer inspection I noticed that the front passenger side coil spring has wear marks from where steel lip on the conical bump stop has been hitting it. The driver's side is just fine, no interference between the bumpstop and the coil spring.

What are my options for fixing this? I saw the following thread (see Bump stops hitting springs - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/bump-stops-hitting-springs.140904/ ) and wanted to know if any other 'Mudders out there had found a straightforward fix for this. I've seen everything from grinding the metal lip around the rubber bump stop to shimming the conical bump stop. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Hmmm....not sure on this. You might have better luck reposting in 80 section as this isn't diesel-specific.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom