HD Clutch or standard Aisin clutch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I am rebuilding my 62 drivetrain (h55f and rebuild t-case) and just bout to order a new clutch and just wanted some feedback.

the 62 is more of a daily driver with random excursions then the bi-monthly weekend wheeling trip, at best. I know the Aisin clutch is solid component but I am just curious on whether it is worth getting the Terrian Tamer HD clutch. There is no question it is a solid component but will it be better to use over "stock" considering I'm running 35", stock driveline ratio and light wheeling?

89 FJ62
h55f
t-case (stock ratio)
35" w/ ARB air lockers

Stock Aisin should be just fine. Unless you're going to include some drag racing:rofl:

The Aisin (OEM) kit with the DT075 disc is HD and good for a DD (saving your clutch pedal leg) and many people have gone over 100K miles on them, easily. One of the 60's I had went 213K miles on the original stock clutch, before I swapped in the H55.

You'll notice the friction disc has rubber hub torsional absorber things as opposed to metal springs. Spring failure or even falling out is a major cause of clutch disc failure and the rubber type is supposed smoother.

However, I have no doubt the TT kit is quality Heavy Duty, as everything from TT seems to be. You'll be fine with either. Do you plan to tow anything ?

Since Georg with Cruiser Bros sells them, maybe he'd be the best voice on the TT product? @orangefj45

1619220760269.png

when/if I tow, it would be a small pop up trailer. Much later (2-4 yrs) I may upgrade to a "overland" trailer to remove the rooftop tent but in either case, that load is pretty light.

Unless there is something super compelling, it seems the Aisin clutch is the route to go. Much appreciated

when/if I tow, it would be a small pop up trailer. Much later (2-4 yrs) I may upgrade to a "overland" trailer to remove the rooftop tent but in either case, that load is pretty light.

Unless there is something super compelling, it seems the Aisin clutch is the route to go. Much appreciated
I had the same thoughts a while back. I decided it’s not worth the extra cash. I’ve never heard of anyone trashing a perfectly good Aisin clutch if it’s installed and adjusted correctly. The truck was designed with that clutch system in mind and I would say, as many have said before, go with OEM whenever and wherever possible and you will not go wrong. I’ve spent more money replacing crappy aftermarket parts with OEM than I care to admit. Stick with OEM and don’t sweat it.

a long time ago I installed one of those so called heavy duty clutch discs with springs. A week later I dropped the transmission again to replace it with the toyota disc. I didn't like how the HD disc felt when releasing. The one I had created jutter on slow release. The Toyota disc on the other hand is buttery smooth.
230,000 miles later I replaced the pilot bearing and the Toyota disc friction surface was only 1/2 worn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom