Hate My Fj60 .... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you had the money, you could do a 12H-T. That would be really cool, stock; kinda, and have alot of power.

Just a thought.

:beer:

bbace said:
Register it in Palmer or Wasila.

He could do that, but they check driver's licenses against vehicle registrations. If you live and work in an IM area, but your vehicle is registerred outside, they start asking questions.

These emissions laws have been around for a long time.

Rick, 2Fs are easy to come by. I've seen cores go for free.

hmmmm

now I hear that . arghhhhh way too late now ...Who knows I might try to trade it for a FJ40

Air inversions during the winter is the reason for IM/smog laws in Anchorage and Fairbanks.

I currently have a waiver to and can't drive my cruiser either. It is stock and couldn't get it to pass IM either cause of emissions crap. I'm going to desmog it and run a header. I'm also moving to the valley (no IM crap) next summer so I won't have to worry about it. :D

Last edited:
It's not Alaska laws that Rick is running into. It is Municipality of Anchorage laws.

These Anchorage rules have been around forever. IIRC I pointed out the legality issues to you when you first started messing with the rig. Your engine may have been dead, but you could have easily found another 2F for it. With complete emissions ger included in the deal.

SOA doesn't impact legality. Your fullsize dually width axles complicate things they way they stick out, but ther'e lots of SOA rigs running around with no problems.

We've all made bad choices and I'm not really trying to slam you here. But yu can't blame your problems on the laws. You bought a POS beater from a long line of hack mechanics and listened to uninformed advise as to how to resurrect and build it. I know that's harsh, but it's true. And I know that it doesn't help you much from where you are at now with it. Consider it a trail rig that's finished rather than an ongoing project that will ever be perfect and just use it as it is, warts and all?

Overlord said:
I currently have a waiver to and can't drive my cruiser either. It is stock and couldn't get it to pass IM either cause of emissions crap. I'm going to desmog it and run a header. I'm also moving to the valley (no IM crap) next summer so I won't have to working about it. :D

Just fix what's wrong. There is no reason that a stock 2F with full emissions gear can't pass the Anchorage emissions test. The last 4 that I have had out at the shop to tweak after failing have all repassed with under 10% of the allowable limits across the board. One had 1.5% to 3% of the allowable limits. One of them had a high performance camshaft and a milled head too. And one of these 4 has passed this clean two yers running since I set it up.
I don't have any emission testing gear. Not even a gas analyzer. Just put everything right and make it run and perform properly and it'll pass emissions.

The dealer just sent another guy my way yesterday. I have yet to encounter any FJ60 with the gear still in place and no major mechanical problems (burnt valves and the like) that will not pass the test.

Mark...

Advent said:
He could do that, but they check driver's licenses against vehicle registrations. If you live and work in an IM area, but your vehicle is registerred outside, they start asking questions.

Yep. They really can't enforce the "if you work in" part of it, but they manage to intimidate people that way and get them in the emissions inspection program. I got a nasty letter from the Muni. To my Valley address no less. Basically telling me that they thought I was lying about commuting into Anchorage in a Saab that I had purchased in town! The car in question was still sitting at the shop in non-running condition because I hadn't had time to build the tranny yet. I live in the Valley and my shop is in the Valley. I haven't worked in Anchorge for nearly 20 years!
The letter tried to insinuate that it was my responsibility to convince them that I was not breaking their city rules. I trashed it. A few months later while registering a handful of rigs at the local DMV I casually mentioned it to the girl helping me. She laughed. Apparently she had gottena similar letter. Did the same with it.

Beauracrats Worse than lice.

Mark...

Mark W said:
Just fix what's wrong. There is no reason that a stock 2F with full emissions gear can't pass the Anchorage emissions test. The last 4 that I have had out at the shop to tweak after failing have all repassed with under 10% of the allowable limits across the board. One had 1.5% to 3% of the allowable limits. One of them had a high performance camshaft and a milled head too. And one of these 4 has passed this clean two yers running since I set it up.
I don't have any emission testing gear. Not even a gas analyzer. Just put everything right and make it run and perform properly and it'll pass emissions.

The dealer just sent another guy my way yesterday. I have yet to encounter any FJ60 with the gear still in place and no major mechanical problems (burnt valves and the like) that will not pass the test.

Mark...

I'm at the point were I don't want to worry about all the smog crap and vacuum leaks. To me, the smog stuff for the 60 series seams an after thought. Besides, I want to run a header and AFAIK, there is no CARB legal header for FJ60's.

completely right

Mark you are completely right several people pointed this all out at the begining of the build but I dont learn stuff the first time or the easy way , I'll admit I screwed the pooch on this one

I'm glad that I didn't piss ya off with that post. Reading it now it looks like I'm trying to be an ass about it. I'm not (it just comes natural).

The thing to take away from it is probably just; Use the rig as it is for what it is and think carefully about putting too much more time, effort, or money to trying to make it what you want it to be. You'd probably be bucks ahead to put that money and effort into a different rig. Plus you'd always have this one to fall back on in a pinch if whatever else you build has some down time.

Mark...

yep

Understood fully I am gonna narrow it some and then look for a 40 to go max of 33's on and keep im legit etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom