Has anyone done an airbag delete? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.hunttractor.com
I am deleting my passenger side airbag in a '97 LX450- the one in the dash. I did some searching and I can't find where anyone has deleted an airbag in their 80 and then done anything to make the airbag dash light turn off. I know I could just pull the light out of the back of the dash, but I was hoping to leave the light alone and do something with the wiring to make the light turn off.

I found in some of the other forums that people have used a 2.3 OHM resistor to trick the system into thinking the airbag is still plugged in. If anyone has done this with or without success I would appreciate a reply. I don't want to completely disable the system, just remove one airbag and not have the light on all the time.

I did...when I bought a '93. Bwahahahaha
Predictably, I do envy your OBDII

Why would you delete the airbags?

Why delete a safety feature?

I asked the forum not long ago if their airbags went off in an accident, they still work for some people.

Last edited:
Why delete a safety feature?

I asked the forum not long ago if their airbags went off in an accident, they still work for some people.

The ones that failed you won't hear about because those people are no longer living. :frown:

I'm not aware of a situation where an airbag deployed unintentionally so removal without replacement provides no benefit.

If you ever sell that truck with the airbag disabled, you're setting yourself up for one heck of a liability suit unless you notify the buyer of this...and most people wouldn't want a vehicle with a disabled airbag.

Think back 10 or 15 years when air bags were killing children sitting in front seats- even decapitating some. It is not recommended for children to sit in the front seat of vehicles with an air bag because of dangers with air bag deployment. There is no way to turn off the front passenger air bag in an 80 like there is in later model vehicles so I want to remove my passenger air bag for the safety of my smaller passengers. It may not be necessary, but they put switches in new vehicles for a reason.

Yes, I realize that the 80 normally has more seats available, but mine does not.

I would also consider installing a switch if possible. If anyone has done that it would be nice to know how they did it.

Good point about the liability issues. A switch would definitely be a better way to go.

I am deleting my passenger side airbag in a '97 LX450- the one in the dash. I did some searching and I can't find where anyone has deleted an airbag in their 80 and then done anything to make the airbag dash light turn off. I know I could just pull the light out of the back of the dash, but I was hoping to leave the light alone and do something with the wiring to make the light turn off.

I found in some of the other forums that people have used a 2.3 OHM resistor to trick the system into thinking the airbag is still plugged in. If anyone has done this with or without success I would appreciate a reply. I don't want to completely disable the system, just remove one airbag and not have the light on all the time.

I don't understand why modifying wiring is preferable to simply removing a light bulb.

Maybe ask over in the Hardcore section for those that have truggied (made up word) their 80's.

Smaller passengers were injured as a result of sitting too close to the dash. Have them move the seat completely rearward. I only see a need to deactivate it if you are putting a rear-facing infant seat in the front

IIRC, there was a key switch kit that could be installed in the '80. If you want to be able to disable it, instilling a switch seems like it would be easier than removing it?

I'd be all for a switch. Maybe one out of an older Tacoma? I'll do some searching.

FWIW - My '98 Tacoma had a manual ON/OFF switch in the top middle of the dash that could be turned with the ignition key.

I'd be all for a switch. Maybe one out of an older Tacoma? I'll do some searching.

A really good idea and makes clear the driver is responsible for setting the switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom