Hardtop removal- gutter strength (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm on my 3rd 40 and have gotten sick of the pain it is to removal and reinstall the hardtop. I know, a softop for the summer would be smarter.

Anyways, i'm not going to ask the same old question of any good ideas for easy removal.

I just wanted to know if you guys thought the rain gutters are strong enough to support the weight of the entire top.

I have a full length wilderness rack and it seems like it would be very easy to attach some straps or chain to the rack and simple hoist the top off by the roof rack, I'm just afraid of screwing up the gutters and possibly bending them.

Cruiserhead05 said:
I'm on my 3rd 40 and have gotten sick of the pain it is to removal and reinstall the hardtop. I know, a softop for the summer would be smarter.

Anyways, i'm not going to ask the same old question of any good ideas for easy removal.

I just wanted to know if you guys thought the rain gutters are strong enough to support the weight of the entire top.

I have a full length wilderness rack and it seems like it would be very easy to attach some straps or chain to the rack and simple hoist the top off by the roof rack, I'm just afraid of screwing up the gutters and possibly bending them.

If you're not talking just about the fiberglass cap but the sides too, then no I wouldn't try lifting it by the rain gutter. That whole assembly is heavy! and I wouldn't risk messing something up, like bending the gutter or worse tearing it where it might be a little thin due to rust. I've just gotten a couple of strong-back young guys to help me.

Pete

I suspend mine with 2x4's ,straps and a pulley system. It hangs in the barn. Seems to work well for me.

I have done the 2x4 thing many times. Just curious about this though. I really wasnt too keen on the idea but the fact that it would be really easy with the rack, i just had to ask.

Not worth the gamble personnally. I had the same question in my mind before deciding to take the 2x4 route. I made a "H" frame out of the 2x4s. 2" side up for strength. Had about a foot out the rear door area and foot out the front. Just got the :princess: to assist in the intial lift to slide 2x4s in place. Attatched eye bolts to ends for attatchement points. Ran straps to cable thru a pulley attached in the beam of carport. Mounted old boat winch to the beam off to the side. Hopefully I've descibed well enough to get an idea from?????? Only problem was the mouth from the :princess: :crybaby:

Suspend the top by the raingutter? I'd say no, I wouldn't do it.

Rope looped through the rear vent windows or around the rear hatch hinges and through the front doors is stronger.

X 4 on the NO. I bent my rain gutter when I rolled the top over to do some work on the inside of the roof. The gutter is pretty flimsy.

Man it is EASY to remove a hard top. Get some ceiling anchors and 4 ratchet straps, 4 ring anchors, and a 2x4. use the 2x4 in the rear and a ring anchor screw through each side and attach a strap to each side and start ratcheting. do the same in front, but just attach the ring bolts through the hard top holes that bolt to the windshield frame. Ratchet away (jsut do them all equally a bit at a time to raise it level. I took mine off in about 20 minutes and installed it in about the same amount of time. Takes that long with a soft top that needs to be stretched out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom