Hardshell RTT Quick removal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1973Guppie

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.noahsarkstlc.com
Hi Guys,

got a new small version rtt for the cruiser. I like it alot but the installing and removal is a PIA. I would like to be able to hoist it up there and tighten it down quickly when needed.

Looking for ideas on fab brackets or ? to install these hardshell RTT's easily. The stock lock nuts and brackets seem clumsy and take forevor to install. I am thinking some type of bracket that mounts to the steel rails and then bolts easily to the rack.

thx,

Noah

On my soft sided RTT, my rack is relatively close to the roof, so it takes long fingers, a ratcheting box wrench, and a lot of cursing to install. I would love to put on some sort of locking wing nuts, but I doubt I could ever reach such an arrangement with my clearance.

Mine is a pain to install as well. I have a rack and bar system and ended up just unbolting my cross bars and leaving them attached to the mounts. Not sure how your setup is but maybe just removing it with the rack would be easier?

Congrats on the new tent!

Mine is a pain to install as well. I have a rack and bar system and ended up just unbolting my cross bars and leaving them attached to the mounts. Not sure how your setup is but maybe just removing it with the rack would be easier?

Congrats on the new tent!

yeah but for me I really need the rack for stuff every once in awhile. Plus depending on the trip I like to make my truck more modular, I like to be able to remove and install things as needed. I am actually thinking of making my own plates out of strip steel. The top plate would bolt to the channel with a lock nut and keep it in place. Then mark the rack where they install. Then the bottom plate will install with standard nuts and lock washers. To deter theft I think I will run dual cables front and rear where the top plate bolts to the channels. Those will be locked to the rack. That way the nuts may be easy to remove but someone will need a cable cutter to get the rtt after removing all the nuts.

I leave the Thule racks attached to the tent. Then with a couple of marine pulleys, and a boat crank
I went to work. I used a nonstretch nylon rope from when we replaced the rope on the well.
The boat crank needs a 2' step to reach, but it works great. The yellow ratchet straps are security.
I found it a pain in the arse to keep removing the tent from the racks too. So far this works well.

IMG_2175.JPG
IMG_2176.JPG
IMG_2177.JPG
IMG_2178.JPG
IMG_2179.JPG

I leave the Thule racks attached to the tent. Then with a couple of marine pulleys, and a boat crank
I went to work. I used a nonstretch nylon rope from when we replaced the rope on the well.
The boat crank needs a 2' step to reach, but it works great. The yellow ratchet straps are security.
I found it a pain in the arse to keep removing the tent from the racks too. So far this works well.

View attachment 1485525 View attachment 1485526 View attachment 1485527 View attachment 1485528 View attachment 1485529

really nice setup you have there! unfortunately I don't have that type of room so my rtt will have to sit on it's side when off, most likely on some wooden moving dollys. I think I have some ideas to make it an easier process to install. The heavy lifting is not too big of an issue. I usually can get a neighbor to help. However the ligning up of the bars to the studs and the locknut install has got to go. 80% of the install was fuddling with the crappy hardware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom