Hard start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, this issue is new to me and I need experienced knowledge. Lol.

So if my truck sits for a few days, I need to press gas pedal like six time and still hit the key like 3 or 4 times for it to start.

I’m thinking a fuel pump is in order.. any other thoughts?. 3FE 1988.

The engine was rebuilt completely..

Any help is appreciated as always.

i'm sure someone smarter than me will correct this statement if i'm wrong . 3fe is a fuelie motor and the pedal shouldn't be pumped for starting. once started, how does it run? smooth? hesitating? if smooth, i don't think i'd be chasing fuel pump. that's all i got

Is the cold start injector clean and working, and spraying fuel into the manifold?

Many if not most 62 owners have experienced this. The posts above are correct in that the gas pedal won’t do anything on an EFI motor.
Do the two easy/most common things first…..clean your cold start injector. Very easy to do and multiple threads on this.
Check your valve clearance (Your motor was rebuilt). I had those symptoms after a mechanic set them too loose. If they had been too tight you’d likely have a rough idle or dead spots in your power band under acceleration.
My bet is you will be fine after those actions.
Long list of things to check after that so keep us posted.

There is a check valve in the fuel pump that can go bad and you‘d lose pressure while sitting. It requires a whole new pump to address but in most cases it’s a different cause than the fuel pump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom